1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey scoresheet and question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Sep 7, 2008.

1. Seeing the post on soccer score sheets prompted me to ask this. I have been looking for a hockey score sheet for some time, something similar to the soccer sheet that had the field on it.

Also, for the purpose of keeping stats, what constitutes a faceoff won: If Team A takes possession of the puck following the draw or simply smacking the puck in the general direction of a teammate.

I always score it as the team taking possession of the puck as the faceoff winner.

Thanks for your time.

2. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Winning the draw or controlling the puck constitutes a faceoff win. If you tie up the guy on the draw and kick the puck to your winger even, that's a faceoff won.
    As for a hockey scoresheet -- the game is too fast for you to chart as it goes on and write as well.

3. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

There are more important things for you to worry about than faceoffs won. If you're covering a pro team, even in the minor leagues, chances are the team will have somebody charting that stuff. I don't bother with stuff like that.

4. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Agreed. It's a relatively insignificant stat for you to be charting for coverage purposes. If you have a stat army that charts that stuff, it's more something you notice at the end of the game and make note of :"Wow, Jones was 12-4 on draws."
    I'm more inclined to notice that the guy had 6 shots on goal or whatever, but again, those are the kind of stats the stat army would track.

5. To clarify — This is high school hockey, so I am the stat keeper.

I know there are more significant stats to track, but I am curious because it has come up a few times in the past. The person who tracks faceoffs for the team is rarely right. His numbers are usually way off, so I find it's better if I'm using my own numbers.

Plus its fairly simple to track, play is stopped for the draw, so all it takes is one quick mark to collect it.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

I'd focus on shots and saves more than faceoffs. I can't remember faceoffs being an issue very often. In fact, in 76 games last season I don't remember ever writing about it once. I'd think there are more important stats to worry about than that. I actually try to avoid stats as much as possible other than goals and assists. And I usually only mention a guy with multiple assists. Power plays and penalty kills mean more than faceoffs in my opinion. Those are easy to track.

Draft saved Draft deleted