1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey player beaten

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

According to AP. The rest of the story is at the AP Web site.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Here's the Toronto Sun's report on the incident, current as of eight hours ago. It says he is "unlikely to ever recover."

Here's another story by the same reporter about Mike, a former member of the Thornhill Rattlers Junior A team who's from the Rexdale section of Toronto. He graduated from the same high school as Prime Minister Stephen Harper and the son of an SportsJournalists.com member.

God bless.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I know the bar and the area. It's a fairly upscale neighbourhood.

Mistake they made I guess was leaving the bar and going out to look for the guy after the original incident.

And yes, if he went to the same high school as our Prime Minister, then yup, that's my kids' high school.

That really is awful.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Richview Collegiate.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Serba's few year's older but my eldest was the starting goalie for Richview when he was in Grade 9 (honest, he was) and they almost made the provincial tournament (fuck you Lakeshore Collegiate and that cheesy penalty shot)

I'll find out if he knew Serba who would have been in grade 12 or 13 at the time.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Update: the kid died this afternoon. Fuck, that sucks.

CANADIAN PRESS

A former U.S. college hockey star who ended up on life support following an attack in Toronto last weekend has died from his injuries.
    Michael Serba was allegedly struck in the head with an unknown object, possibly a brick, early Saturday morning after being sucker-punched.

He was visiting from Vermont’s Norwich University, which he originally attended on a hockey scholarship.

Police say the 25-year-old suffered life-threatening injuries as a result of serious trauma to his head.

Serba died of his injuries this afternoon and an autopsy is scheduled to take place in Toronto on Wednesday.

Police say the attempted murder charge against Nicholas Crowdis, 22, of Toronto, is expected to be upgraded at his next court appearance Dec. 4.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

RIP. Best wishes to Mike's family and friends.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Does Canada have the death penalty? Just curious.

9. Double J

Double J Active Member

No.

The maximum sentence available for first-degree murder (which this case is not) is life in prison with no chance of parole for 25 years, although lifers can actually apply after only 15. So much for "no chance."

Second-degree murder? No chance of parole for 10 years. Manslaughter? Seven years. Killers who are under age 18 can be out on the street in as little as three years. It's fucking bullshit.

10. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Noted in Burlington Free Press...

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061129/NEWS01/611290315/1009&theme=

Draft saved Draft deleted