1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hockey Hall of Fame Induction Day

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Nov 10, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was just about to post that story from the Globe & Mail.

Love the fact that he used it in the ceremonial face-off in a junior B game.

And now he should donate it to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The hockey hall of fame has entire sections dedicated to the international and amateur game. It is far from being an NHL Hall of Fame. If it was then Ed wouldn't have been inducted this year. Tretiak would still be on the outside. And Hoby Baker wouldn't have a sniff. Is there an obvious snub of the women's game? yes. But I feel it is only a matter of time before that is fixed. In reality the women's game has only really been played on the international stage for 18 or 19 years, and in the early days their game was a shadow of what it is now interms of ability. I remember one of Team Canada's players on Off the Record in the late 90s saying their game (Team Canada's) was comparable to a bantam AAA level. Now I would argue it is probably closer to a midget AAA level. The fact of the matter is the women's (although it can be traced back to the 1800s) as we know it today is still in its infancy. The Hall will fall in line eventually.

My take on Henderson is that he shouldn't be inducted in. He was a part of something that was far bigger than just one person. I think what they have now -- I believe a display honouring the tournament and the team -- is satisfactory. Let's be honest. If it wasn't for those final three games would anyone be arguing that Henderson should be in the Hall? If yes then Bill Ranford should be in the hall for the Oilers cup run in '90. In other words neither gets in.

Draft saved Draft deleted