1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hobbs News-Sun

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by BujuBanton, Aug 12, 2008.

1. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

No Monday edition.

2. thebigd

thebigd Member

sometimes i wonder why more local papers don't print on Monday's my shop is 20,000, and we have mostly pro stuff in our sports section

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Well, yeah. But that sports league that plays most of its games on Sunday is, I hear, kinda popular.

4. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Member

I like how they round off their circ number to the nearest hundred

5. BujuBanton

BujuBanton Member

It may not pay well, but the News-Sun does have a track record of sending sports guys to bigger papers. I know of guys going to Odessa, Midland, Santa Fe and Amarillo from Hobbs. They cover Hobbs sports, basketball and football mostly, like it's a college. Basketball games at Tasker Arena are pretty intense with 4,000 people in the stands for every game. It's not the greatest paper in the world, but they do things very well considering the size and location

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

And you get the day off to enjoy those games. Imagine that.

7. Fastball34

Fastball34 New Member

NMJC didn't forfeit to Grayson, they got into a bench-clearing brawl with Weatherford during the regional tournament in the loser's bracket and both teams were eliminated. Those sanctions were imposed (a year ban from postseason play and a short season), but they have all the freshman coming back (including it's second-best pitcher from last season) because the sanctions follow them if they transfer to another NJCAA school, so the team should be solid and get through the one-year suspension.

Any questions about the job, feel free to IM me.

8. unigrad

unigrad New Member

In my 20 years in the biz (the past eight working on the sports desk at a SoFla metro), one of my favorite stints was in the mid-90s when I was SE in Hobbs for a couple of years. Some of the nicest people I've ever met and worked with were in Hobbs and editor Daniel Russell is a very good guy to work for. Like all jobs and locations Hobbs has its faults, but believe me, coming from someone who has worked there, you could do much worse . . .

9. texasdesigner99

texasdesigner99 New Member

have they hired anyone yet???

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i dunno. have they?

11. texasdesigner99

texasdesigner99 New Member

Thanks for that great answer

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and thanks for the stupid question. if you want to know, why don't you call and then inform everyone else?

Draft saved Draft deleted