1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hobbies?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I used to drink a lot, but I've made a real effort to cut back on that.
    I used to smoke a lot, but I'm trying to give that up, too.
    I exercise but I don't consider it a hobby.
    My hobbies are poker, reading and the guitar.

2. sportsed

sportsed Guest

That's cool ... and it by damn sight trumps me heading into the shower before I go to bed and saying, 'Well, let's play two.'

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I play with my kids and work in the yard.

On Sundays, I go out and play on the company softball team, then after go and sit on the tailgate of the shortstop's pickup truck drinking cold beer.

And beer never, ever tastes better than after a summer league softball game.

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

• Go to the gym.
    • Hang out at Club SportsJournalists.com
    • Drive around town taking pictures of bizarre people doing strange things
    • Go to Borders to drink coffee and read magazines for free
    • Fight off the urges to go to the other side of the tracks to buy crack
    • Shoot some hoops or billiards
    • Go to Ivy League campus to check out a quirky movie or production, or to pick up brainiac Ivy League girls who look like Lisa Loeb, so sexy with those glasses and legs from here to ya-ya.
    • Take extended drives with the windows down and music pumped up

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Drizzt Do’urden?

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

That dark elf with lavender eyes is one of my favorite characters in fantasy literature, after Gandalf of course.

7. Jones

Jones Active Member

Not to get heavy here, but when my wife and I had our baby -- five weeks premature -- and he was put in one of those little plastic boxes with tubes and wires coming out of him, a small quilt knitted by a total stranger was also wrapped around him, with scenes of a father and son fishing together, and we will keep that quilt forever, even though I want to bawl my eyes out every time I look at it.

All that to say, keep on keepin' on Cadet. Those blankets mean a whole helluva lot.

As for my own hobbies, I come up with T-shirt slogans; for instance: PICKLES ARE CUCUMBERS SOAKED IN EVIL.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Every once in a while I go to the used paperback store and buy a bunch of those TSR Forgotten Realms books.

9. sportschick

They're pretty good in a mindless read sort of way. I think I own most of the R.A. Salvatore ones from various garage sales and used bookstores as well as the occasional present. I think most of my male relatives have gotten them as presents at one time or another. Everybody who likes fantasy seems to like those books.

10. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

I play video games to get out my aggression. although when the computer cheats, i get more angry. so i play grand theft auto where i can kill people for hours and not get in trouble. i may have anger managament problems though. that and i am working on movie scripts. and sleeping is good too, that is a hobby.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've read a few of the Salvatore books and quite of few of the others.

12. sportschick

I think the only non-Salvatore ones I've read have also featured dark elves. I may need to branch out.

Draft saved Draft deleted