1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hmm... stock options?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, Dec 28, 2006.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Weird item today. Someone at my shop evidently thought I was doing something right, put me in for some corporate award. Bottom line is I get a nice little certificate and opportunity to buy 150 class A common shares of the company. Have no idea if it's worth it. If I go with the full 150 (can only go 50 at a time over a three-year period), I'm looking at about $7,500. Not much of a market follower, but it seems that the advantage is that my buy-in is always locked at the current price. Stock goes up? Doesn't matter. I still only pay today's price. Other than that, I don't see a huge upside. Advice, anyone? (Knowing what financial geniuses and moguls we have in attendance...)

2. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Sounds reasonable. Can you do it through payroll deductions?

3. Killick

Looks like I can. Price of the stock is already up more than a point over my price. It's intriguing. Just don't know all the angles (tax liability, etc.) yet.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Does your parents (or anyone in your family/circle of friends) have a financial advisor? If so, it may be worth a call to them to find out some more.

When you say you're locked into the 12-26 price, is that just a ceiling? If the stock drops or if it splits, do you get to buy at the lower price?

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Hope you have better luck than me.

I was granted 242 options about six years ago at $37.

Stock made it up to just over $50. Was all set to cash in the options when it hit 55.

Never made it. Trading at $31-$32 these days.

Options run out in another four years.

6. Killick

If I'm reading this right, yes. Actually, the date they fixed the price was in mid-November. Checking NYSE, it's already up more than seven bones (although, it's riding as high as it's been all year and checking SEC filings, the company leadership is selling a ton of stock -- that doesn't bode well).

Draft saved Draft deleted