1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hitchens sets Huck, MSM Enablers on Blast

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by jgmacg, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Indeed. And some blonde babe giving scores on The Golf Channel is way more relevant than a guy who still has an outside chance of leading the free world.
    Thanks for the perspective, Zag.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

How can anybody be a devout atheist?
    Agnosticism, I understand.
    The arrogance of the aetheist position -- the notion of I absolutely KNOW -- puzzles me.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I know you posed the question to Zag, but I loathe the Confederate Flag. I loathe racism in any form. I was speaking of Robert E. Lee as a specific person, and nothing else. Carry on.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. Some might just be fans of the Dukes of Hazzard. Others might not want that part of American history to be forgotten.

I mean -- are we to assume that anyone who claims baseball's good old days were when the Babe played is racist?

People have different reasons for wanting to celebrate different parts of history - to assume they are all racists is just wrong.

And I know a whole lot of "good ole boys" who ain't very politically correct, but they ain't racists either and they'd understand perfectly what Huckabee was saying.

And twoback -- perhaps you missed what I wrote on the thread about the golf channel chick so I'll repeat it. WHO CARES?

5. zagoshe

I hate racism as well but I hate even more that a whole lot of people are very confused as to what is and what isn't racist. And my point comparing Lee to Washington was in response to Fenian Bastards contention that Lee was a traitor for what he did --- true, but so was George Washington.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Doc, I understood you.

Zag, honestly I can't comprehend that argument you made. It's a stretch, to say the least. The flag was put on the state house in response to the civil rights movement. What else could that possibly have been other than a middle finger to the rest of the country? Huckabee said it's perfectly fine to keep a flag first put up for racist reasons, to keep it flying. He didn't come out and say it, but he coded his language to.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Perhaps you don't care, but Hitchens' point was the media has cared enough to create a firestorm over the comment, to the point where she was suspended two weeks, Tiger has been badgered about it several times and the Golfweek guy got fired over his noose cover. That's a whole lot more media reaction than what Huckabee got for his apparent race-baiting.

8. This last question isn't serious, is it?

9. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Headbutt's correct. Context is everything in this case. It's not like Six Flags Over Texas flying the Stars and Bars along with the five other flags of Texas history. It's putting up the CSA battle flag as an unambiguous "fuck you" to the civil rights movement.

And yes, as much as I loathe Hitchens, he's correct. As much as I dislike focusing on sound bites in lieu of nuanced discussion, this is one sound bite that deserved to be jumped on.

10. zagoshe

Let me ask it to you more directly -- Do you honestly believe that Mike Huckabee hates black people, thinks they are inferior to white people and wants to return to the days of segregation?

That's what you are saying when you call him a racist.

And there is just no evidence for that.

But unfortunately, these days -- when all you have to do is make some off handed comment about cooking fried chicken brands you a racist for life -- the words racist and racism are thrown around so much, and often incorrectly, most people don't even really know what they mean any more and they aren't nearly as strong as they should be.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Atheism, as I use and understand it, is the absence of belief, and isn't contingent on abosolutely knowing anything.

12. It's important to remember that the flag in question is NOT the flag of the Confederate States of America. It's the battle flag and it was specifically adopted to resist the civil rights movement and all the gains since the Brown decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.