1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Historic downtown BFE

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Johnny Dangerously, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I always giggle when I hear local radio or TV commercials, wherever I am, urging a visit to the jewelry store or furniture shop or antique dealer in "historic downtown (Name Your Small Town Here)."

Every town and downtown has a history, does it not? Does that make it historic? OK, fine.

Still makes me chuckle. And yes, I love small-town advertising.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I live in a historic downtown. It's got the whole National Register of Historical Places sign and everything. Why, I have no idea.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The slogan of the town I live in -- I live downtown -- is "(Songbird's town) ... It's not so bad."

THAT makes me chuckle when I hear it on the radio.

4. audreyld

audreyld Guest

To be fair, historic downtown West BFE is a much nicer area for a vacation.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Downtown Podunk is a hell hole.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Hell, I live in an historic downtown BFE. Also known as the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln. :D

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Is "BFE" like the "BFG" in Doom? Big Freaking ______? :)

8. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Gunt, apparently, as seen in another thread.

9. RokSki

RokSki New Member

[​IMG]
    Doom BFG 1a

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I hadn't noticed it, because in my state pretty much every fucking square inch of land is the site of some major Revolutionary/Civil War, early settlers or Presidential historic moment.

11. T2

T2 Member

The point is that few people want to venture into the decayed downtown area if they don't have to. They'd much rather shop at one of the new malls at the edge of town, with free parking and all. So the downtown stores need to find a reason to lure people back to the deserted city center. What do we have downtown? Old buildings! Come down and see them! They're historic!

12. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think a lot of these downtowns are going through a revitalization, which, indeed, is making them more attractive to shoppers tired of the edge-of-town malls.

Draft saved Draft deleted