1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'His tiny Asian wife'....yesterday's Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 25, 2007.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Mizzou, Hardly ever interact with you on here, but you are sometimes the king of hyperbole. A guy isn't a good writer. He's the greatest writer in the history of the written word.... until the next writer you enjoy is the greatest writer in the history of the written word. 21's post wasn't hysterical. She brought it up and threw it out there for everyone else. She doesn't really need to get a grip. She does need therapy, but that's a whole other matter and wholly unrelated to her fear of tiny Asian women.

All of that said, I thought Jewish guys had the thing for Asian women. Is the tall Irish guy who digs Asian women some lurking stereotype I knew nothing about?

2. What are you, immun...
    Nah, it's too easy.

3. I think "wife" is soooo cliche.
    I would have used "Walton's Lotus Blossom." Or perhaps Concubine.

Ragu,
    I thought it was the blacks who had a thing for Asian chicks? I though the jewish guys were all in pursuit of "Shickzas (sp?)"?

I think Irish guys just want a chick who can poor beer and not bitch about being tied to a raging drunk.

I think I've filled my quota of streotype classifications for the this month.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I find it telling nobody used the words "offensive" or "offended" in this thread -- or any version of the words -- before Mizzou did. He was the first.

Based on Mizzou's latest posts on the thread, in which he's reaching into his nuclear arsenal to blast at anyone who has used the word "offensive" since he first introduced it to this topic, I'd say Ragu is a pretty insightful guy.

5. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

And are we talking about tiny as compared to the general population, or tiny compared to Bill, or tiny compared to the traditionally short women of Asia? It's an important distinction!

6. Johnny Dangerously

The cutline writers at Deadspin probably never heard this, so I'll pass this along: Photos tell stories in details that don't need words. That's why we run them.

"Wife" is something that photo can't convey.
    "Tiny" and "Asian" are pretty obvious if you look at the photo.

"Tiny Asian wife" is unnecessary. "Wife" is appropriate and informative.

Class dismissed.

Run the photo if you like. Write us a cutline that tells us what we need to know. Give us credit for having eyes and working brains. Be professional.

It's not that difficult.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I actually don't think Mizzou's outrage is directed at me, but regardless:

I'll ask it this way--in what other form of media could/would you make the reference? "Hello fans, here with Billy Packer, and whoa, there's Bill Walton with his tiny Asian wife!" "I'm here on the sidelines with Bill Walton and his tiny Asian wife...." "SAN JOSE (AP)--The crowd was packed with UCLA fans, including Bill Walton and his tiny Asian wife..."

This is a Freedom of the Blog liberty--the right to make comments you could not make elsewhere in 'legitimate' media.

For the record, I wasn't offended...I just thought it was a cheap and cheesy reference. Funny when Krazee-Eyez Killa did it on Curb Your Enthusiasm...not funny for Deadspin.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

It may or may not be important to remember at this point that Deadspin is a comedy website. Sports may be the occasion for the comedy, but it's a comedy site. All the Gawker properties, whatever the nominal topic - sports, media, cars, politics - are meant first and foremost to be funny.

And while one can certainly disagree with the idea that the phrase under discussion is in any way funny, I would hope that we use different criteria to judge news writing and comedy writing.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Now I get it.

Ha!

10. Johnny Dangerously

Well, you can only hide under that umbrella if you are truly funny. Otherwise, you're trying to have the best of both worlds in the ensuing ambiguity of the information superhighway and its blogosphere.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Hey, we should take the positive, life-affirming view of this.

Perhaps Deadspin was just implying that Bill Walton is a repressed pedophile.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can't believe I am posting this... I have a lot of black friends (spoken like a guy trying to prove he isn't a racist, but it's true!!!) This is some serious stereotyping.... First off, the guys I know dig white women. It begins and ends with, "Where the white women at?" And best of all worlds is a white woman with a bubble butt. The big ass thing is something I'll never get.

I know some black guys who have been with some Asian women, but I don't think it's any more of a black guy thing than that they were good-looking women. No hard-and-fast rule on this one, but I'd say more black guys I know have a thing for big-boobed Jewish women than Asian women, if I had to come up with a stereotype.

Draft saved Draft deleted