1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'His tiny Asian wife'....yesterday's Deadspin

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Mar 25, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I know Deadspin is 'just a blog,' but this really grabbed me as incredibly wrong:

Lead story about UCLA-Kansas, first graf:

Kansas vs. UCLA will be tipping any time now. Hopefully, that one will make this one look like the JV game. There's no shortage of history and tradition there, of course, as will be mentioned during the obligatory shot of Bill Walton in the stands with his tiny Asian wife.

There's also a picture of the Waltons. So we can see, BILL WALTON HAS A CUTE ASIAN WIFE. AND SHE'S ASIAN! LOOK!!

You tell me...am I overreacting? I thought Deadspin was a little better than the typical internet blog.

http://deadspin.com/sports/college-basketball/the-kansasucla-open-thread-246883.php

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

[​IMG]

"Diane, I'm standing outside of the HP Pavilion ...
    because they do not let Asians inside of the HP Pavilion."

3. "And that was the latest from Asian reporter Tricia Takanawa. Now, let's check the weather. Ollie?"

"IT'S COLD!"

"Thanks, Ollie."

4. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

aren't they just explaining what she looks like?

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Would anybody have thought twice if they described her giant, Irish husband?

How about giant, brain-dead, Irish husband?

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Would you write 'his black wife'? In this context? Completely unnecessary. She's his wife. Period. If you really need to make an issue of her race, use the picture.

7. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One of the many differences between the bloggers and us is that we employ editors who try to prevent our writers from looking this stupid. Eventually either the bloggers or their readers will get hip to this. I'm watching this like it's a race between two retarded rats in ajoining mazes. I know I can go into the kitchen for a snack and not miss much because this race has a long way to go.

8. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

I don't think people who read deadspin are gonna say "boy, that was wrong. I'm never going to look at that site again!" But I do hear what you're saying. I think more people, though, enjoy the freedom bloggers have with no editors.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm offended. I'm never reading Deadspin again...

Only the Christian Science Monitor for me...

10. jimnorden

jimnorden Member

always a great read, mizzou!

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If you really want to sound smart add the Economist to the list.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Not to excuse it, but it wasn't Will. It was one of the weekend morons.

But it's Gawker's brand, so they're on the hook.

Draft saved Draft deleted