1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

His Schwartz wasn't big enough: Lone Star is first show canceled

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think the show might have had a chance if it came out in the winter and didn't have to compete with DWTS, MNF and an established (but overrated) CBS lineup.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it might have worked as a 10 p.m. show on FX. Kind of like an upscale version of Sons of Anarchy.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Get UVerse. Four shows at once. Of course, every waking moment is now spent trying to catch up on DVRed shows.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Raising Hope is HILARIOUS.

5. Mizzougrad96

I wish they had someone better in the lead role, but I still haven't gotten over the baby sticking his head through the hole in the car in the first episode.

6. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Read up on Lone Star online.

Some interesting stuff. It was never conceived as a TV show, but a one-shot TV movie that could be serialized into a running movie concept ala that Tom Selleck crap.

So the first two episodes shown were shot like it was still a movie, so higher production values, better writing, better everything. And cue the critics go gaga.

Fox liked the concept so much, they pushed the show's creator into turning it into a television show and promised the full support of the network, which they delivered in terms of promotion but pulling the plug after two episodes means they really weren't into that much.

7. Mizzougrad96

This translates into "It was expensive as fuck to produce."

8. Mizzougrad96

Full support of the network means putting in on after Idol beginning in January.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Understandable. Still, as a My Name Is Earl fan, I've thought the first two eps were funny as hell, particularly an unrecognizable Martha Plimpton channeling Joy in the role of the young grandmother.

10. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

BYH did you catch the Earl reference and joke in the pilot?

First episode wasn't bad, but I missed last night's. Hopeful it is an onDemand option.

11. Mizzougrad96

I have last night's episode on the DVR. I think the first one was a solid B+.

12. Suicide Squeezer

Suicide Squeezer Active Member

Exactly. Then, once you build a steady audience, move it to another night. So much of the major networks' time is spent just throwing shit against the wall and seeing what sticks. NBC does it best (or worst, maybe more accurately). "The Event" looked like a horrible show. I didn't watch it, but NBC fucked around with "Heroes" so much it killed it. If you believe in a show, give it a real chance. If not, you deserve to be showing "Minute to Win It" five nights a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted