1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

hiring question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by txsportsscribe, Jul 23, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I don't think that's necessarily the case on this side of the border.

A good buddy of mine is Canadian. We interned at the same TV station 19 years ago. He went back to Canada, then came over here and worked in Montana, Spokane and elsewhere as a Canadian citizen.

He married an American woman and became an American citizen after his parents died. But before then, he was working in television in the U.S.

I know since we've had this discussion about Americans going to Canada, that your theory about finding Canadians to do the work first is accurate, although I had a partial interview with the former No. 2 in Edmonton on my honeymoon and asked him if there would be any problems on hiring me. He didn't seem to think so.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I had a Canadian intern last summer. I actually didn't have to do much of that at all. Turned out to be one of my better writers.

3. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I'm tired of the damned Canadians taking all of our American jobs! They can forget about me eating their bacon. I'll buy the American stuff every time now! And I don't care if it's so fatty that I have to fry it and drink it from a shot glass!

Also, Mike Myers really isn't that funny.

4. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

Like maple syrup, Canada's evil oozes over the United States.... [/obscure cult movie reference]

5. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That's basically it, but as I understand it, the green card process has become extremely difficult, especially since 2001. Basically, the paper has to be committed to helping that person, and I believe they do have to demonstrate the candidate is more qualified or more specialized than an American applicant.

6. DGRollins

DGRollins Member

On a serious note...

Does the same thing apply to the hiring of Canadian stringers? I live about 15km (sorry, 7 miles) from the border and the thought has crossed my mind that there might be work to find this high school football season.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Canadian Bacon starring John Candy.

Written and directed by SportsJournalists.com's favoUrite lefty, Michael Moore. :)

8. Flash

Flash Guest

But we add glamour and honour to a newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted