1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring managers: Do you read cover letters?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by imjustagirl, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

would you read a cover, jag?

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know why any manager worth his or her salt wouldn't read cover letters.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I got a cover letter once from someone who clearly spent a lot of time on here - and thought it might help. Mentioned sudoku, the Nationals and dogs in the first three graphs.

Here's a good formula for a nice, tight cover letter: Hi, why, bye.

Introduce yourself as a candidate for the specific job.
    Tell me quickly why you are a candidate I should consider.
    Say goodbye by thanking me for my time and letting me know you are ready and willing to speak.

DO NOT do a letter version of your resume. I see that way too often. "After leaving the Podunk Press, I worked at the Peadunk Press where I got experience covering ****"

Hi
    Why
    Bye

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Depends on the lyrics and who sang the original, TP.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Perfect, concise primer.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

Say a job listing has 58 different desired qualifications. I just made the number up, but there are listings with a ridiculous number of qualifications. Do you try to touch on the ones you're strong at in the cover letter, tweak your resume to include the main qualifications or just not worry about it?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Your resume needs to have the keywords in it.

8. Tim Stephens

Tim Stephens Member

Very good advice from Moddy.

I read cover letters very closely. A well-written one can separate you from the pack. Some tips:

1) Don't rehash the resume. I can read. Spin that resume forward. Show me how those experiences relate to the job you're seeking. Put yourself in the job. Use the cover letter to show that you know what the company you're applying to is about and how what you're about can fit in and help them.

2) Don't send the same letter you sent 27 other places. Personalize, personalize, personalize.

3) I've never met anyone named "Hiring Manager." Do some research and find out who needs to get the letter.

A cover letter can tell me a lot about an applicant ... subtle and sometimes not-so-subtle clues about how they compete, how they communicate, how they prepare, how they research, how interested they really are in the opening, how much they pay attention to detail. A good cover letter can get you into the game; the resume, clips and interview seal the deal.

True story: On a job search some time ago, I came across an excellent cover letter. It was attached to resume that on its surface would not make the first cut. But the letter piqued my interest. I sent a message to the sender: "You're up against some talented people but if you can compete on a beat like you compete in a cover letter, you might have a shot at this. I'll give you 10 minutes to convince me you can bring us more than a good letter..." The reporter nailed that subsequent phone interview with a terrific plan on how to cover the beat, and with it, launched a career. The conversation never would have taken place without that cover letter.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

and that's why you are getting a mental hug in my mind right now, missy.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

damn, if i ever applied for a job at your shop, i'd like change my name on my resume to something like thomas c. pety just to trick you so you wouldn't know who it was.

11. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

When I did hiring, I absolutely read the cover letter. I want as much info on a candidate as possible, and the cover letter can enhance or DQ your resume.

12. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

The entire point of a cover letter is to show why you're better than the other dozen applicants with similar resumes and clips.

Be creative. Be memorable. Managers are seeing so many similar resumes and clip packets. I don't care how certain you are about your great clips or resume. Someone applying for the job can match you.

Make yourself stand out. Do it in no more than one page. And write it well.

I remember walking into an interview with an assistant sports editor at a major metro newspaper who was doing a secondary interview. He said, "Oh, you're the guy who [highly specific detail from my cover letter]." He didn't remember my name, but he remembered my cover letter. I didn't get the job, but, at the time, I wasn't qualified. That cover letter made me a finalist.

Draft saved Draft deleted