1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring Internally vs. Externally

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dkphxf, Apr 25, 2011.

1. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Every time an organization that's likely to hire internally posts a job, people on here post that it's the law for the organization to seriously consider hiring from outside the company. Pardon my ignorance on this topic, please, but what is the rule about having to hire someone (or at least be honest about trying to get someone) from the outside?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There isn't a law a company has to post a job. It could be policy and a company can be sued for violating policy.

How would you word such a law?

"A company must advertise an opening and has to be really, really serious about it, and must pinky-swear as to the integrity of the process."

Haven't you heard the best jobs aren't advertised?

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This.

4. Hoos3725

Hoos3725 Member

If the newspaper is part of a publicly traded company, the company is expected to post job openings to the public. The idea is that a publicly traded company should be something accessible to the public.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can say that in two of my gigs for a major chain, I was a strong internal candidate both times and the jobs weren't publicly as a result.

One was my first job, where I had recently completed a standout internship. The other was a move to a bigger paper in the chain where I had some connections.

For the first job, I know only one other candidate was even seriously considered. For the second, I believe multiple candidates were considered, but all of them were within the chain or had significant ties to people working at the company.

6. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

If it is a policy for the company, what sort of check is there to make sure the company seriously considers going out-of-house?

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It depends on the company. There aren't any legal requirements for publicly-traded companies to advertise job openings. Anything you hear otherwise is wrong.

As for the original question, if you want a company to give you a serious look, it's up to you to make your case. No policy or law will land you a job.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Paging Lynn Hoppes.

Draft saved Draft deleted