1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hiring bias against sports writers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SnarkShark, Feb 25, 2013.

1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It was a online application that didn't allow for posting clips.

How exactly is the topic I brought up trolling?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The bolded portion is your problem. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of applicants for every newspaper job opening. They aren't going to take what they see as a risk when they don't have any reason to. You think you can cover news? I know this person can. Because she's done it.

3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is the answer I expected when I first opened this discussion because it makes the most sense, but I thought it was worth it to at least ask the questions.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow. that is one of the most outstanding posts i've read here in a month.

i should squeeze that bad boy into my sigs.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Can't tell that to the metro twerps in our shop. We beat every area TV and radio station and web site and they get torched by a local weekly alternative news paper. But we're the neanderthals in the toy store.

6. Turtle Wexler

Turtle Wexler Member

Some very good suggestions on this thread, but I'll add this:

People whine about writing cover letters for applications, but this is EXACTLY the type of situation where a cover letter can serve you well. Point out that you can hit deadline, you can write a spot news/profile/column/explanatory/obit/etc., you have experience interviewing everyone from administrative officials to minors, you can use social media to cover a developing news story (a game), and so on.

You need to make your case that you have the skills, regardless of the subject matter. A cover letter is a great opportunity to do that.

7. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This is brutal when you try and get out. Some people think every sports writer is Ray Romano. You have to wow them. Non-sports people think because it is a game, that is is somehow less serious and easier to write and report.

It is really hard to break out of that. Just, hope the hiring manager is somewhat knowledgeable sports fan. I don't say sports is my job, writing and journalism are my job.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That is a great, great point.

Too many sports writers just want to watch a game and write about the game, maybe do an occasional feature. But they're lost when it comes to anything having to do with the business/legal end of stuff.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, maybe that one door closed. There will be others.

You might consider tweaking your resume to highlight different experiences and use a different version of the resume when applying for non sports jobs.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I wouldn't send game stories when applying for a news jobs. I'd go with features (especially human interest angles), hard news, analysis, enterprise stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted