1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hines Ward -- Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Oh, I think it will easily be Polamalu who ends up "repping" this era for the Steelers. Before Roethlisberger, even.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Considering some of the guys who aren't in, you had better be spectacular to get in.

Is Ward better than Cris Carter, Tim Brown or Andre Reed? A friend who is a voter said he doesn't think Brown will ever get in, which I thought was surprising.

Ward has a lot of things going for him. He could get lost in the mix if he becomes eligible right around the time Owens and Moss (locks although maybe not on the first ballot).

If he does, it will take awhile.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He has been dominant when on the field, but he has played a full season three times in a nine-year career. But, you are right, he is probably the one selected.

By the standard of the best teams getting more players in, then, say the best candidate is Polamalu. Ward, Roethlisberger, Harrison and maybe someone else I'm not thinking of are all in the next group. Ward's case will be as solid as any of the other guys.

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Rapeslisberger has played only 1 full season. Best safeties of this era, Reed and Polamalu. When you say best qbs of this era, Big Ben is not among the first 3 or 4 names.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

He will be a hotly debated player. The question is where does he rank in his era? I definitely put Moss, Harrison and Holt ahead of him easily. Owens? Way more talent and ability to destroy an opposing defense, but he was a prima donna of the first degree. It could be a push to the voters...all around player vs. home run hitter.

Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith and Isaac Bruce were a few years older than Ward, but played a very high level when Ward was in his prime. Bruce at times was devastating, but how much was he helped by haveing Holt across the way? Reggie Wayne will be an interesting case. I like the heck out of him, but will he be heard by being considered a "second option" for the bulk of his career?

So Ward is at best the fourth best receiver of his era, and easily could be considered 8th or ninth depending on the debater.

His chances also will hinge on Bettis. If Bettis gets in, but comes up against an anti-Steeler hype campaign, it could doom him.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes . . . but classifying Ward as a "mere" receiver is judging an elephant by his tail.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

:smackshead:

I forgot about Polamalu.

8. Quakes

Quakes Guest

I'm a Steelers fan, and Ward's been one of my favorites. There were many years when I wouldn't have traded him for any other receiver in the league, just because he fit the Steelers perfectly. But I don't think he should get in. Yes, his numbers are very good, but I don't think he was the kind of impact player -- someone who forced the other team to account for him and/or put his stamp on his position -- you need to be to get into the Hall of Fame. I think Cris Carter should already be in, and I'd vote for Randy Moss, Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne before considering Ward and some of the others mentioned.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quarterbacks are a hell of a lot more likely to get in than safeties. It wouldn't shock me at all if Reed was the only one from this era to make it. I still think Palamalu is the better player when they are both healthy, but he misses far too much time. He has played 16 games in a season one time out of the last five seasons and pretty much his entire 2009 was wiped out by assorted injuries.

This doesn't take into account the times he has played hurt and stunk because of it, which includes the entire playoffs last season.

But your use of Rapeslisberger brings up another point. The off-field issues are the real problem for Roethlisberger. His case had a heck of a lot more support before people started hating his guts. The fact that you refuse to use his actual name proves your own bias, but that's fair in this discussion because he's going to run into some of that from Hall of Fame voters someday, too.

I think, at best, he's going to be borderline. His numbers are good, not great. He's clearly behind Brady, Manning, Rodgers and Brees. He's not done, but he certainly doesn't have a monster season in him as long as he has no pass protection. And for a borderline guy, the fact that he has proven to be such a lousy human being could definitely swing the vote against him.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Quakes raises a good point. Ward was never really a guy who drew steady double-teams. In fact, his best years were from 2001 to 2004, when he had Plaxico Burress on the other side. Teams were much more likely to double Burress because he created so many physical mismatches for cornerbacks. Ward made more plays, but Burress still drew the attention of opposing defenses.

Does Ward make it on receiving skills alone? Absolutely not. The question is how much value voters will put on his overall game, particularly his blocking, and his rings.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

It's just easier to spell Rapelisberger.
    he definitely benefits from being on a good team his whole career. right now, i don't think he gets in. don't think he'll ever put up great numbers either but he is solid and is one of the toughest QBs ever. He is kind of like Jim Kelly, but bigger and stronger, though not as good a QB. i think Polamalu is pretty much the face of this Steelers era and that will help him. Reed may be better but he had one of the greatest LBs for his whole career. plus when the Ravens won the SB it was pretty much a dominant team defense. i think Polamalu stands out more on the Steelers teams. Ward's case reminds me a little of Harry Carson. he is solid and had a real good caree but there was another guy at his position who was more dynamic. obviously for Carson it was LT. for Ward, like you said, Plax drew the double team. for a couple seasons Holmes was the one who drew double teams or at least was more of a deep threat.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's just easier to spell Rapelisberger.
    he definitely benefits from being on a good team his whole career. right now, i don't think he gets in. don't think he'll ever put up great numbers either but he is solid and is one of the toughest QBs ever. He is kind of like Jim Kelly, but bigger and stronger, though not as good a QB. i think Polamalu is pretty much the face of this Steelers era and that will help him. Reed may be better but he had one of the greatest LBs for his whole career. plus when the Ravens won the SB it was pretty much a dominant team defense. i think Polamalu stands out more on the Steelers teams. Ward's case reminds me a little of Harry Carson. he is solid and had a real good caree but there was another guy at his position who was more dynamic. obviously for Carson it was LT. for Ward, like you said, Plax drew the double team. for a couple seasons Holmes was the one who drew double teams or at least was more of a deep threat.

[/quote]

Just pointing out that Ed Reed wasn't on the Ravens' Super Bowl team. His rookie season was 2002 (Ravens won in the 2000 season).

Polamalu's case might be helped by this being a golden age for safeties. They're underrepresented and there's several HOF-caliber guys from the past decade who will have their cases heard. Reed will get in. Polamalu should get in. And Brian Dawkins might get in.

Draft saved Draft deleted