1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIMYM - Season 8

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MisterCreosote, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Sayonara Quinn. I honestly thought that you would last longer.

I'm just ready to get past the breakups here because it's hard to care when we know that none of these relationships are going to last.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm not sure a show that still had it's original cast has sucked this bad.

It's embarrassing.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I completely forgot to watch it tonight. Not a good sign.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'm a pretty hard-core How I Met Your Mother apologist, but this episode lacked pretty much everything.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't think even Ashley Williams is saving this puppy. And it takes a lot for me to say that.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I still don't get the hate for the first episode. And I love Robin and Barney together, so I think there's great potential for that.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Yeah, a throw-away show...only made to knock out Quinn and have some fun with a creepy (but still sexy) Robin.

That's funny, I, like Cobie Smulders' character, enjoy being pleasured while watching her on TV.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That was painful. They spent a good part of last year building the BRney-Quinn relationship up into something which was interesting and real (within the context of the show) and then they just drop it on a dime?

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

That's how I felt. This is the woman that got BARNEY STINSON to propose and they just give up on each other two episodes later? I thought that it was going to be Robin/Nick for sure...we know next to nothing about him.

10. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the episode yet, but I find it incredibly annoying when this happens in sitcoms. It's a writing cop-out, frankly. Either Barney really was interested/invested in Nora/Quinn, or he wasn't. You can't just punch the ejector button.

I also think Becky Newton is really quite good at comedy, and she's gorgeous, which is a tough combo. She deserves a better fate than the career she's had. She and Sarah Chalke. Newton was really the only good thing about Ugly Betty.

11. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I like Becky Newton a lot. I liked Nora and Quinn a lot. I'm not sure why they needed two non-Robin women to have Barney fall in love with before he realizes it still is Robin. There's no good reason they couldn't have had Nora be the one Barney proposes to and fused the Nora and Quinn story lines.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Exactly. Although my biggest flaw with the Nora storyline is she was just a nothing of a character. I don't remember anything about her other than she was beautiful. (I can't even remember if she was Persian or Indian or just "English.") Maybe the Newton stuff was Thomas and Bays realizing they didn't do a single thing to develop her character and wanting a chance to reboot that storyline. But it's a little stupid to have them essentially end the exact same way. Surprise! Barney is really still in love with Robin!

Anyway, that Onion piece about "Slap Bet" was awesome. Made me miss how tightly this show used to be written. I still enjoy it, but I'm also a little frustrated by what it could have been. Perhaps I'll look back on it more fondly when it's done, like Cheers or Friends or Seinfeld, all of which felt weary in later years.

Draft saved Draft deleted