1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIMYM -- Season 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Re: HIMYM -- Season 4, episode 1

Love the series, but I thought it was just an okay episode. Marshall hiding behind the couch really annoyed me for some reason.

Barney's attempt at a voicemail did crack me up. I also think Robyn knows and it finding ways to fend it off. It was way too obvious.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think the hook-up was inevitable and very much in character for both of them. It's just a matter of how they handle it. So far, it has been funny. I'm just not sure where else they can go with it.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agreed ... and they missed a golden opportunity to get back to that with his "I love Bimbos" speech (which was brilliant, btw). If they left the episode off with him saying that and meaning it, they could have gotten out of it without having to go into Barney suddenly being a deep, emotional character.

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I enjoyed this one. Like Double Down said, it was more No. 2 than No. 1 in his "what type of episode is this" breakdown up above.

But I also think it's setting up for something down the line. I've found that the writers of this show do a great job of intertwining episodes together and when there's one that isn't consistently funny, it seems to be setting up for something later in the season.

Chewbacca - hysterical
    Barney 'bimbo' speech - tremendous.

I thought it was a swell episode.

5. outofplace

I think they could drop it now, but I doubt they will. That's the thing. I think Barney can be a deep, emotional character. He was if you remember the flashback story. He hated what that did to him, so he simply chooses not to be that guy any more.

6. outofplace

Not at all. I'm saying this isn't a sudden change. He was that type of guy once and chose to be awesome instead. Occasionally, we get a glimps of him regretting that choice, then he goes back to being the Barney that we find so entertaining.

That is the fun here. He is in love and that just doesn't fit into the life he chooses at all.

7. outofplace

Understood. I don't think having a moment here and there where he questions himself ruins that, as long as he keeps returning to the entertaining character we are used to. Remember, even before the bimbo speech Monday, he never stopped sleeping around for a moment.

No question at all that NPH is fantastic on that show. It is funny to think that no matter how much crap Barney pulls, the audience has the same problem that Ted does -- we can't stay mad at him. I can't remember ever watching an episode thinking that Barney was a prick, but I can remember a few when I thought Ted was a one.

8. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

the one thing that i picked up on was the "cable show" robin promised to apply for. It sets up a situation where she is leaving and and forces barney's hand, which I don[t think they can just change him for the relationship. I think robin is out by the end of the season.

9. outofplace

It may not be for the cable job, but at soime point I think they will deal with her leaving. If I remember correctly, old Ted made a reference to her leaving New York for a considerable period of time during one of the scenes with the kids.

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I liked the Relationship Barney angle. The idea of Barney toying with the idea of settling down should be fun to watch. We know he'll never do it, but the "what if" part would freak us out because we love our free-wheeling bimbo-seeking Barney.

11. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I liked the episode, but I just like this show a lot more when Ted's not dating somebody. They really had a nice little groove going last year dropping hints with the yellow umbrella here and there, but once he started dating Stella, that stuff just all stopped.

I was totally fearing the Barney-Robin thing would be a disaster after the way they left things at the end of last season, but I was pleasantly surprised on Monday. NPH is legen... wait for it... dary.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Regis appearance was a bit much last night.

Draft saved Draft deleted