1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

HIMYM -- Season 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Double Down, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Not of ton of HIMYM fans out there, but for those of us who do watch, we're a dedicated crew. If you missed the season premiere last night, you can catch it here:

http://www.cbs.com/primetime/how_i_met_your_mother/

Now, there are two different kind of HIMYM episodes.

1. The kind that are funny, with a dash of sentiment.

2. The kind that are sentimental, with a dash of funny.

(There are also episodes that aren't funny and aren't that sentimental or even interesting -- last year's season 3 finale comes to mind -- but we'll ignore them for the purposes of this post.)

This was one of the sentimental episodes that has dashes of funny, which I'm ok with. It doesn't have to be laugh-out-loud funny all the time for me to enjoy it. Last season was pretty uneven, but the best episode was Ted's two-minute date with Stella and that episode wasn't funny as much as it was sweet. Now we return to find that Stella said yes, that she will marry Ted, even though they don't know much about one another.

I don't think that Ted and Stella are getting married. She's not the The Mom. But I do love Sarah Chalke so much that I'm happy to have her around for a few episodes, if not half the season. She's still so very good at physical comedy. The bit where Marshall popped out from behind the couch and her popcorn went flying was probably the highlight of the episode, although I did like it when she referred to Chewbacca as a "talking bear that no one can understand." I can sort of relate to the plot line of this episode, because I really wanted my wife to watch and like The Princess Bride, which is one of my favorite movies, and she claims she saw it years ago (which I doubt) and didn't like it (which I cannot fathom).

The Barney/Robin plotline works if only because Neil Patrick Harris is so good at everything he does, and his speech about bimbos "always being there for you" was very well done. As was his theory about how the language for bootie calls gets shorter as the night goes on. I wasn't really into the Barney/Robin relationship last year, but I think it could work after seeing them together in this episode.

Overall, I give it a B.

Thoughts?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: HIMYM -- Season 4, episode 1

Shit.

the summer came and went and I didn't watch the first three seasons on DVD.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Most original sitcom on television, my friend. Not always as funny as The Office or 30 Rock, but they way they play with time and tell stories in a non-traditional way makes it worth watching.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Is that from our dinner with Ragu and Headbutt?

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Nice rack on Headbutt.
    Anyway, haven't see the episode yet. Still on the Tivo.
    Onion AV Club reviewed it, and gave a little spoiler.
    Has to do with Stella. I'll let others read it before I share.
    I look forward to this show more than anything else on TV.
    My fervent hope is that the network allows it to go out in style.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The bit about booty calls getting shorter the later it gets was hilarious.

I'm not sold on Relationship Barney yet. But it was interesting to see him in a different light.

I don't think Chalke is The Mom either. But, depending on ratings, I could see the writers making her The Mom if the show isn't being renewed for 2009-10.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I love Robin, but the waitress ... WOW!!!

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT
    Entertainment Weekly's Michael Ausiello was pretty sure all summer that she is the mother, but in last week's column all but said she is definitely not the mom. FWIW, but he's usually pretty spot-on because of great sources.
    (very small text above. copy and paste into another field only if you want the spoiler)

9. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

Sorry, I don't like the new Barney. His longing stares give me the creeps.
    And the Star Wars stuff was just over the top.

Thumbs down.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You're turned off by something on this show being over the top? You must have hated half of last season. They have done things much more extreme.

I know people who love a certain movie that much. There are plenty of people who feel that way about Star Wars, though many of them don't make it out of the house as often as Ted does.

Ted was dealing with the thought that he was ready to marry this woman even though he might not know her well enough. Marshall put the thought in his head and he couldn't shake it. So the first real disappointment, even something like her not enjoying his favorite movie, could have been real trouble.

In other words, it was a little silly, but it made sense.

11. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Dedicated HIMYM watcher here; I thought the first show of season 4 was solid -- not great, not bad. Kinda shocking to the system to open up with Ted and Stella being engaged, but I guess I get where they're going with it.

Not buying Relationship Barney but like someone else said, it is a refreshing change to see him in that light.

The movie scene does make a lot of sense and I can see it as being realistic. What seemed silly to me was Marshall being in the apartment while they were watching the movie. Um. OK.

And I love the idea of a code word.
    Chimichanga!!

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I had a chimichanga for lunch today. The eating joint called it a chimi thing.
    And that isn't a code word for afternoon delight *sigh* I miss sex.

Anyway, watched the episode. I thought it was hilarious. And I also thought Robin knew what Barney was up to. I wouldn't be surprised to see an episode from her perspective, showing how she hunted down the waitress in an effort to throw Barney off his game.
    I see that storyline going somewhere. A real strong dynamic between Barney and Robin as she fights off his affection, while he falls more in love with her.
    If down properly, and I think it will, it will it be heart-breaking to watch.

Draft saved Draft deleted