1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary For President 2008 *NSFW*

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boom_70, Apr 16, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, Conan still does "in the year 2000."

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

It was a good year:

[​IMG]

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Boom you can try to rationalize it anyway you want, but deleting and restarting a thread is childish and extremely lame. It's the equivalent of taking your ball and going home because the game isn't going your way. Grow up.

4. Fine. Then control him. This is childish and stupid.

5. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

No, you are!

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This is the PETA picture of the decade, no cats died in the dissemination of this picture.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rosie O'Donnel is one of the few who might like this picture.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Control him? How about everyone else here exercising some self-control. If this thread is as childish and stupid as everyone says, nobody would be posting on it, and it would drop like a stone in water, falling off Page 1 forever. Maybe we have a lot of stupid children here. That's another theory. People are taking the bait, and Boom is reeling them in like fish. Don't think I wouldn't become part of the act if I started deleting these threads. Even more of them would appear, I'm guessing. There were more serious fish to fry in the last 24 hours here, when other stupid children couldn't keep discussion of the Virginia Tech shootings professional and civil.

The issue of being able to delete one's own thread is another issue, and it will be handled above my head. Until then, if anyone writes something particularly profound on a Boom thread, you might want to save it somewhere. It seems it won't have a long shelf life.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's the only serious thought I've had about this... Should I even bother posting seriously to any thread he starts. The Lisa Olson thread is the example that annoys me. Why take the time to think, organize your thoughts and type if someone is going to play a childish game and delete something you put thought into. I'm a step closer to treating a Boom thread the way I do a RAMBO thread, I guess. Not going to waste anything serious on it. I suspect others will follow. No idea why someone would deliberately marginalize themselves as someone worth taking seriously on here, but that seems to be the intent.

On balance, though, I don't give a shit if he deletes every one of my posts. It makes more of statement about him than me.

His response to me before suggests that he thinks he's lording something over me with the threat of deleting threads. Seriously, knock yourself out if it gives you a boner. If the boner is over the harm you're causing me by deleting threads, well, you might want to come up with something a bit more threatening to me to help yourself jizz all over your computer screen. It shouldn't be too hard. There are lots of things I find more threatening than a guy childishly deleting threats on an internet message board.

EDIT: SOMEONE JUST SUGGESTED I TAKE ANOTHER LOOK AT THIS THREAD... NOPE, I DIDN'T POST TWICE IN A ROW. IN BETWEEN WAS A POST FROM BOOM IN WHICH 1) HE TOLD ME TO GET OVER MYSELF, AND 2) HE GAVE A LAME EXPLANATION ABOUT HOW HE WAS "MODERATING" THE OLSON THREAD BY DELETING THE WHOLE CONVERSATION, TO SOMEHOW PROTECT OLSON.

AFTER I REPLIED TO THAT IN MY NEXT POST (BELOW), AND OTHERS REPLIED BELOW, BOOM DELETED HIS POST--MUCH LATER ON. ON THE ONE HAND, I'M SADDENED THAT HE DOESN'T HAVE THE COURAGE TO STAND BY WHAT HE WROTE AND LEAVE IT UP TO GIVE CONTEXT TO ALL OF THE RESPONSES TO HIM. APPARENTLY HE THOUGHT BETTER OF THE NONSENSE HE POSTED. TO MY MIND, IF HE REGRETTED HIS POST, HE SHOULD HAVE HAD THE INTEGRITY TO DELETE IT BEFORE PEOPLE RESPONDED TO IT. BUT HE IS "MR. DELETE AND PLAY GAMES," SO I CAN ACCEPT IT FOR WHAT IT IS. AT LEAST HE DIDN'T DELETE THE ENTIRE THREAD, SO WE CAN CALL IT PROGRESS...

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know Lisa well enough to speak for her, but she seems like a bright woman who isn't so fragile that any mention of the thing turns her into an emotional wreck. I have no idea if she saw that thread you were protecting her from. If she did, I am certain she could handle it just fine, without the drama it created for you. She seems pretty tough.

I didn't pay much attention to that particular discussion on that thread. I remember FB posting something that seemed out of place to me, given that the thread had so far just critiqued a particular column of hers. As misplaced as his connecting the dots seemed to me, the crime he seemed to commit in your eyes was mentioning the Pats sexual harassment incident at all and how the Boston media at the time handled it. I personally didn't see how that had any bearing on the column that started the thread, but I also didn't find him mentioning the incident disrespectful in itself. The Pats thing really did happen.

I'm not sure why we'd now have to avoid discussing it at all, or what that accomplishes. More enlightening things can come from discussing it openly than sweeping it under the rug because you find the discussion distasteful for reasons others don't understand. I certainly don't see what your deleting the whole thread accomplished. You wiped away some fairly intelligent back and forth with one impetuous click of a mouse button that rendered the effort people had made to post meaningless. But yeah, you do have that ability to self police a thread you started. Notice, I don't say "self moderate," the way you do, because moderation implies keeping something within reasonable or proper limits. When you delete threads impetuously, it is extreme and excessive.

I don't remember the back and forth that came from FB's post on that that thread very well, and I obviously can't go back and look now, but didn't 21 weigh in and make essentially the same point as FB? You might have disagreed with her as well as FB with regard to that thread, but I know you believe that she typically posts with intelligence and reason. Did that make you stop and think for a second that your policing efforts might have been unwarranted? Does the fact that you've deleted several other threads, as well, make you wonder if perhaps this isn't about "moderation," but about something else?

11. Ragu -- Thanks.
    At the risk of discomfiting J_D, I think the way to conrtol Boom is to point out that there are consequences to his wankering around with other people's comments. The LO post specifically mentioned her episode because it was an example of how people use the "bigger issues" con to obscure the actual event. I think that's what happened with the rap music dodge on the Imus thing. You may disagree, and I guess you do. And, you were correct that 21 did agree. Nevertheless, the notion that Wanker Boy clipped that post because of his genuine concern for someone's feelings is pretty laughable.
    And, by the way, real manly men still wield megaphones:

[​IMG]

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't know which pictures Boom has of who blowing whom, but at this point I find it hilarious that whenever he's being a douchebag, the impetus falls on the rest of us to ignore him.

Draft saved Draft deleted