1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hillary Clinton may want to close every public school in America, according to math

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Mmmmm hmmmm.

I believe you believe those schools are better because of the instructional quality.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think the differences may be bigger in some big cities, where the local school might really suck.

And, a Catholic parish school isn't some elite public school.

In an affluent suburb, the differences between the two might be marginal. My brothers actually moved their kids from Catholic schools to public schools, because the public schools had more programs for "gifted" kids, or whatever they call smart kids now. The Catholic school was too small to offer anything but one track.

3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I just added that for YF and oop. Figured I'd start some shit and watch it play out.

Anyway, forcing disadvantaged kids to go to failing public schools seems like an odd way to help those kids.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This would make for a perfect remake for Trading Places. The shiitty unionized teachers in private schools and the smart private school teachers in Compton.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Exactly right. Yes, many private schools can show better performance by their students. That is because they can pick and choose which students they let in. Also, just by their nature, they have parents who are more likely to be interested and involved in their children's education. Those are the factors that lead to better results, not the quality of the teachers.

In many states, it is the public school teachers who make more money. They tend to have better benefits, too, and better union protection. Wouldn't it make sense that the more qualified teachers pursue the higher-paying jobs with better benefits?

I know that is how it works in New York. The standards are tougher for public school jobs and what you often see is teachers starting out at the private school while they get certified, then move on to the public schools.

6. outofplace

At least you admit that you were trolling the thread. Points for honesty.

Ideally, it would be great to get rid of schools that are not doing the job. The problem is what replaces them. The better option is to figure out what is dragging the public schools down. It isn't always easy to see from a distance.

I know of one district in which parents who send their children to private school managed to take over the board of education. They then slashed the budget, dramatically cutting into the number of teachers and the resources available to them. They got to cut their own taxes, but it was other children who suffered while they sent theirs to private schools. Putting aside the accusations of misappropriated funds, even the legal actions they took were reprehensible. They have decimated what was once a highly-respected district.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

White liberals care deeply about public schools, but they couldn't care less about education. What about minority families who are interested in their children's education? "Just stick it out; we'll fix the public schools!" God forbid those parents had any kind of option other than to trust the kind, caring advocates of The Left, who make sure their special-interest groups get theirs at the expense of disadvantaged youth.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Defund and dismantle. That's the game plan of the conspiracy.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Is that East Ramapo, or another one?

10. outofplace

When I posted about nature, that wasn't about race, so please try to understand my point better before your espond. Parents who pass on the free, public education to pay for a private school, they are more likely to be interested in their children's education. That is what I meant by their nature. There are minority parents who send their children to private schools, too.

It is comical that you think this one is about political parties. The Obama administration has not been particularly friendly to public schools or to teachers. Neither is the Cuomo administration in New York.

You really think the people pushing for a move away from public education aren't taking care of special interest groups? Are you really that ignorant of the situation?

11. outofplace

I was talking about East Ramapo. I've brought them up before on this board. I know quite a few people who have either worked or lived in that district back before it went to shit and in the current mess. The entire situation sickens me.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

So the best teachers gravitate to the crappy paying jobs with the least protections? Interesting theory.

Donny in his element likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.