1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hill exposes Favre's Brattitude

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 16, 2007.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

the point of view is fine. the writing? sophomoric.

they really don't seem to have any editors worth a darn at espn.com. someone, you know, who can help jamelle become better? as in, "don't say it this way, jamelle?"

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is correct. No bone to pick with JH either, so this isn't personal... But Favre still has something left. He's just playing for a crappy offense. I'd be disappointed if he wasn't pissed that the Packers have done so little to upgrade the talent around him over the last three years. If you were him, wouldn't you be disappointed? Why shouldn't he express it? The guy wants to win. Now. He has one season left, probably.

Randy Moss was out there. He actually wanted to come to Green Bay. Green Bay could have gotten him cheaper than New England did. And instead of moving quickly and getting it done before a team like New England could come in and snatch him away, they decided not to give Favre the weapon. Maybe Green Bay was doing the right thing from whatever long-term plan they think they have in place. But if I am Favre, I don't care much about that. He wants to win tomorrow. And frankly, EVERYONE should have that attitude.

He's kind of stuck in Green Bay because of his stature. But for anyone harping on his interceptions two years ago (when he had that miserable offense and no receivers) around him, thinking about what would happen if you put Favre on a Super Bowl ready team right now. He still has enough to get it done. He isn't good enough to carry a below average offense. But he is certainly good enough to give a decent team a chance because he still has something left. It's similar to Elway in his last two years, except in Elway's case the Broncos had a great team around him. Favre is frustrated that he is being left to finish it out with a crummy team. I personally can't blame the disappointment because I'd be disappointed too.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Now, if she had written "Brat Favre, or was that Wurst?" I would like it more.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well you won't see Peter King ever write this story.

I have to disagree though with premis. If I am not mistaken part of reason that Favre decided not to retire was that Packers told him they would surround him with better supporting cast.

If this were case Favre has ever right to speak out.

5. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

You are not mistaken. Let's just say that the player and head coach appear to be on the same page -- let's win now. The GM, on the other hand, doesn't share the same sense of urgency.

And Ragu's comparison to Elway is spot on. And last time I checked, Elway basically forced a coaching change. Favre hasn't come close to taking such a stand.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Yeah, Favre's being a petulant twat is such a really new observation.

I stopped reading at "A friend of mine. . ." as I would slam the brakes during any similarly wrought column.

7. my god, is that bad writing

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Tip of the hat for at least trying to attribute the Favre quote at the bottom. Now if she woulda just got the name of our paper right ... no hyphen.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

PK take on Favre. Guess PK has found new love in Peyton Manning>

Mapquest tells us it's 1,036 miles from Brett Favre's offseason home in Hattiesburg, Miss., to his in-season place, Green Bay. It might as well be a million miles. Because the one thing we learned from his failure to woo Randy Moss over the last couple of months is this: he may be one of the true legends in NFL history, but he is nothing more than an employee in the eyes of the Packers front office.

It's now clear that Favre pulled out all the stops in trying to get Moss to team with Donald Driver and Greg Jennings as a potent trio of Green Bay wideouts. He politicked for it internally, had his agent press the Packers to acquire Moss and made it clear that with Moss, Green Bay would be a serious contender for the NFC Central title this year. But as has been the case since he took over, Ted Thompson communicated that he runs the franchise and the quarterback should concentrate on rehabbing his ankle and getting ready for his 17th season in Green Bay.

I don't know Favre as well as I used to, but I do know this -- this failed dalliance with Moss had to have wounded him deeply. He knows Moss. He knows he would have been able to get Moss to play hard, which is something the receiver didn't do in Oakland the last two years. And I don't think this is a case of Thompson telling Favre that he isn't wanted. Thompson does want Favre ... but as his quarterback, not as his assistant general manager. If Thompson could have stolen Moss, who is a risk by anyone's standards, he would have done it.

There's one thing Favre has missed in this whole drama. I think that once the Patriots were in the picture, Moss didn't care about the Packers anymore. If New England hadn't been involved, Green Bay probably would have gotten Moss and Favre would be a happy man today.

But the Packers aren't going to win the Super Bowl this year. The Patriots might. And if you're Moss, and the only thing you really care about right now is trying to win a championship so you can shut the people up who are ripping for you for taking a dive last year with Oakland, there was only one team to go to this offseason. That's New England. Once the Patriots showed even a flicker of interest, Moss would have walked to Foxboro.

10. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Part of the problem is that the Packers are trying to work with two conflicting gameplans: rebuilding the team and playing with still-good but old quarterback. You really can't do both. Ted Thompson wants to run his plan, but he also must know that messing with 4 is suicide in Wisconsin.

Although Favre deserves heat for his 29-interception season and general lack of production over the last couple of years, eventually history is going to show that the Packers gave him virtually nothing to work with over the last third of his career maybe. Donald Driver's a nice receiver but not a big-time No. 1 guy. they traded Javon Walker, and they got incredibly lucky last year when they didn't address the running game and went with Ahman Green, who had his quad torn from the bone the year before. This year, they lose Green, yet continue to sit back.

Why shouldn't Favre be frustrated, as he was when Walker whined and held out after one decent season? This is the guy who lost a Super Bowl to an old Elway because the Broncos put some talent around around him. You don't think, in his mind, he thinks the Packers could do the same thing?

And, by the way, if he simply shut his mouth, played so-so and set all the records as his team goes 7-9 or 6-10, don't you think Hill and others would be ripping him for coming back for the records and not caring about winning or caring about the franchise? I would be they would.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

That doesn't jive with the facts.

-- Ahman Green was the best running back by a long margin he ever shared a backfield with. There is nothing comparable to Green in the first half of Favre's career. The Packers won the NFC North every year they had a healthy Green.
    -- The receiving corps did not seriously dissipate until '05, and then improved when Jennings was added in '06. Favre has been lucky, the Packers have had All-Pro to near Hall of Fame receivers (Sterling Sharpe, Robert Brooks, Andre Rison, Antonio Freeman, Donald Driver, Terry Glenn, Javon Walker) throughout his career, along with some decent tight ends.
    -- Favre's offensive line from '00 to '04-ish was one of the NFL's best.

I'm a huge Packer fan, but I'm tired of Favre's whining. With the exception of '05, the organization has put a team on the field that at least gave the Packers a chance. From '01 to '03 in particular, the Packers were one of the NFC's best teams.

But they blew it. They lost to a superior Rams team in '01 (and Favre had, if memory serves, six interceptions in that game), embarassingly lost to the Falcons at home in '02, had toasty Bhawoh Jue on Freddie Mitchell on 4th-and-26 ... and, Packers fans conveniently forget ... Favre threw one of the dumbest interceptions of all-time in overtime against the Eagles in '03. They unforgivably lost to the Vikings at home in '04.

Favre had his chance to have an Elway swan song. The Packers didn't get the job done. He had his role in not getting it done.

12. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

And this is why I like Bubbler. [/looser Vikings fangirl]
    Bubbler, would you have a talk with some of the Packer fans I'm related to and explain this to them? ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted