1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hilarious letter to ESPN Magazine

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Cousin Jeffrey, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

This dude who writes a Cubs blog wrote an excellent "open letter" to the folks at ESPN Magazine. A good, piece-by-piece takedown of what has devolved into a useless rag. Obviously the folks at ESPN don't care about it since they put it in free with Insider and use all their good writers (Wright Thompson and Buster) on the Web.

I consistently judge people as morons if they say they like ESPN over SI (note: this does not include people who used to like SI in its heyday and don't subscribe anymore, just the people who say the "articles are too long in SI. I like pictures.")

http://www.desipio.com/?p=1497

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That is tremendous.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

That letter should win an ESPY.

4. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

I needed a laugh....thanks .....this is hysterical....

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Best thing I've read this month.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Somebody is sparing the letter writer and stealing a lot of his magazines if he really thinks that ESPN The Magazine is "bi-monthly." He meant to say bi-weekly.

7. bob

bob Member

I briefly wrote a TV/radio column so they sent it to me free. I don't know what made me happier: that I stopped writing the column or that they stopped sending it to me. Looking through that piece of junk gave me a headache.

8. Mizzougrad96

Actually, I think he might technically be correct. I've seen "bi-monthly" mean twice a month and every other month. It is confusing.

9. Mizzougrad96

There's good stuff in some of those magazines, but good luck finding it.

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

bi-weekly1 [baiˈwiːkli] adjective, adverb
    (happening etc) once every two weeks

bi-monthly1 [baimanθli] adjective, adverb
    (happening) once in every two months

I did enjoy the guy ripping ESPN apart, though!

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That was fantastic.

12. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What was weird about that was he started by saying it never gets read... it sits in his kitchen unopened etc....

Then he goes on a point-by-point critique citing months' worth of material that's been in the mag.

???

Draft saved Draft deleted