1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

highschoolsports.net

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by greenlantern, Sep 1, 2008.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Any Gannetteers out there dropping HSS.net and going back to their old systems?

2. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

The only reason we use it is because the publisher says use it. If it were up to us, the system would be nothing more than a memory.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Does anyone know how to get their newspapers' articles on the site?

Today I noticed none of my papers' stuff was on there, but other newspapers had their stuff on there.

I went to the bottom, clicked contribute content, and it took me to a page that had nothing about contributing content. WTF!!!

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not a Gannett employee, but I don't like the newer verision of the site. It seems a lot harder to navagate.
    Generally speaking, I've always liked the site, especially this time of year, because it saves me from chasing down ADs to get schedules. Before highschoolsports.net, it was not unusual to not have a schedule from the AD until a week or so into the season in some cases. There were times when I had to rely on word of mouth from parents and kids to find out when and where early season games were.
    In fairness to the ADs, the beginning of the fall season is a hectic time for them, probably even more so than it is for us, but it is a pain because everything that you need to have in place at the start of the season never is no matter how hard you try.
    I still hate this time of year, however.

5. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

That's for fan/coach content. You wanted to click PRESS BOX instead, which would have given you this screen:
    "Welcome to The Press Box – the one place to read all about your teams when they are covered in your local media. If you would like to link your news site to The Press Box, contact mediapartners@HighSchoolSports.net. "

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

People use highschoolsports.net for things other than schedules?

7. pipes

pipes New Member

I guess the thing I dislike the most about highschoolsports.net is not highschoolsports.net, but the idiocy of the plan by Gannett.

Gannett spent more than $30 million for highschoolsports.net last year. A direct competitor to highschoolsports.net is MaxPreps.

Guess who MaxPreps' media partners are? CBS Sports and USA Today.

Last I checked, USA Today is a Gannett property, a rather prominent one. In my part of the world, MaxPreps and highschoolsports.net are in direct competition with each other.

It isn't helping my cause when coaches and ADs know that the crown jewel of the Gannett Empire is on MaxPreps' side, not Gannett's. It's unbelievable.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This idea was no worse than tweeting at a kid's funeral, though.

9. starrman

starrman New Member

USA Today no longer has an affiliation with Maxpreps.

10. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

Maxpreps >>>>>>>>>> HSS.net, though that's sort of not the point of this thread.

11. Pendleton

Pendleton Member

Works beautifully for us and our Web site, if you understand its strengths and weaknesses and don't try to do too much reverse publishing before you're ready. ... We already had 95 percent of our local high schools voluntarily putting data in hss BEFORE we contracted their services. (and we're not Gannett)

12. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

How many high schools?

Draft saved Draft deleted