1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Highly successful PA girls coach forced to resign

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Feb 23, 2011.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

http://www.goerie.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110223/VARSITY04/302229908

Interesting little story - dude is coach of two-time defending state champs has made that program one of the best in this state - yet he has been forced to resign on the eve of the basketball playoffs.

I don't know the man, never met the man, don't live in or near Erie (one of the few PA towns I haven't lived in) really don't know anything about the situation -- but I'd be willing to bet this is a classic example of a pain-in-the-ass ex with an axe to grind who finally cried wolf loud enough and got her way.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It was two different women filing two different protection orders alleging two different threats or actions of abuse. It could actually be that he's a hot-tempered asshole.

3. zagoshe

Could be - but I find it amazing how much more of a "hot tempered asshole" men become in the paperwork filed after divorces by women seeking to win cash and custody battles.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow. A Catholic high school gets rid of a successful coach it doesn't like. That only happens as often as people tying their shoes.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I have to say, I wouldn't want a guy with a history of violence against women coaching my daughters, no matter how successful he's been (at coaching, not being violent against women).

6. zagoshe

I agree, but wouldn't you want to know the situation?

I mean, don't you have any friends who have been raked over the coals in a divorce and lost their reputation by a woman scorned who was nothing more than a petty and vindictive bitch?

Any time I hear of any of these situations, I always think "I'd love to know the truth"

It may turn out he is a prick who threatens and beats women - but the fact that both of these PFA's came out after a divorce was going down and there was nothing in between, well, tells me that maybe there is a little more to the story.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm going to guess that this coach has had temper problems with his team before. Not anything like that's alleged in the orders of protection, maybe, but something that the school has ignored because of the coach's winning record. And the fact that these requests for orders have come up twice, separately, is not a good sign.

Anyway, how can you possibly "know the situation?" Take the coach's word for it? You're never going to get the whole story, so you can only go with what you have. And what you have are courts -- twice -- GRANTING orders of protection against this guy. He's gotta go.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bob Cook -- I posted a link from a blog about youth sports on another thread (about the home-schooled wrestler in Iowa), written by a Bob Cook. Is that you? I just found it on a Google search, but if that's you, you do a nice job with that. Particularly with the name -- "Your Kid's Not Going Pro." Many laughs.

9. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Coach looks exactly like:

[​IMG]

Which would explain the temper problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Yes, one and the same. Thanks. I guess I should check out that thread!

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Whatever the truth is, after two instances of alleged abuse, and the fact that we're talking about HIGH SCHOOL BASKETBALL, no way you take that chance with the girls. Championship or not. Remember your priorities here. I applaud the school.

You don't want to be accused of abuse? Make better choices.

12. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

From the situation as it's told I see a few things. Two different women alleged he was violent. Now perhaps both are in fact being vindictive, but it seems more likely that in two separate situations if the same thing is alleged (and nowhere in the article does he refute it) it is in fact the case.

More importantly she works at the school. So with an order of protection one likely had to be let go. She's a full-time teacher, he's a part time coach. Pretty simple math there.

Draft saved Draft deleted