1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Highly comical high school athlete cliches

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Gator, Apr 6, 2010.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

So my writer and myself are talking the other night as he's transcribing his quotes.

"Why do high school girls always talk about coming together as a team?," he asks after covering a girls lacrosse game.

"I guess it's the female version of what boys say, which is always 'Stepping up," I reply.

So then we start talking about some of the funny, ordinary, run-of-the-mill things high school kids say that never seem to get old. It's almost as if they've taken a cliche class.

I think my personal favorite would be when anyone uses the word "just."

"I just wanted to go out there and play good defense," Johnny said.

Really? You didn't want to score any points? You had no desire knock down your free throws? Wierd.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

"I'm just happy to be here .... hope I can help the ball club."

"We've just got to bring our "A" game every night and if we do that, we'll be fine."

"I just had to throw strikes, and I knew my defense had my back."

3. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

"If we continue to get the clutch hits, good defense and strong pitching, we'll be OK."

Really? I'd think you'd win more than your share of games that way. May be just me, though.

4. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

"We work hard in practice and do what the coaches tell us."

... because if you don't you won't play?

"I just had to be there for my team."

... like you'd be anywhere else?

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

"I gotta give all the credit to my linemen. They really opened up the holes for me."

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

"We shocked the world"

Yes, a small hamlet in Turkey was hanging on the East Tech-West Tech basketball district semifinal.

7. No lie, a team that dominated the smaller classifications and had won like three state titles in four or five years won its third title in a row. And the players and coaches all said, "Nobody thought we could win!"

Hell, EVERYBODY thought they could win. It would have been a bigger story if, with everybody back, they didn't win. But the "us against the world" mentality is one HS coaches especially love.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't know which one is worse. I gave 100 percent, or I gave 110 percent.

9. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

"Early in the season, the pitching is ahead of the hitting." - high school baseball position player and coach on a team that is shut out. Uses this line even if season is half over.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This. A thousand times, this.

11. Monroe Stahr

Monroe Stahr Member

"Kids say the darnedest things." -- Art Linkletter

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Is this a newspaper, or Penthouse letters?

Draft saved Draft deleted