1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school vs. club team

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Aug 1, 2011.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Could go in the soccer thread, but found this to be an interesting read while visiting my mother over the weekend. It was the A-1 Sunday centerpiece. To sum it up, a lot of U.S. Soccer academies are extending their seasons, making players choose between their club or the school teams:

http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/localnews/ci_18585985

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

More and more, club teams are completely wiping out school teams.

With public school budgets getting cut and cut and cut, it's only going to get worse.

So if your kid wants to play a particular sport, you better have the money to pay for him or her on a club team. If you don't, well, tough shit for you.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You already have AAU basketball and select baseball and softball. Those are where the blue-chip recruits are discovered. (Sorry, granny with newspaper-clipping scissors.)

Those sports are relevant enough to generate school pride still, however. In soccer, except for a very few school sides (North Texas is a hotbed), it does not do the same.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If the US wants to establish consistent world class soccer talent, it isn't going to do it by having the english teacher roll out the balls and coach soccer after school.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who gives a shit if the United States develops 'world-class soccer talent' or not?

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

We are having a push right now of actually adding boys lacrosse to the school division. I might as well just start toissing c-notes out my window.

Basketball and football will always be at the high school level because they make money at the gate and in consessions.

Everything else, with the exception of soccer in some areas, loses money.

One thing though, athletics at the school level is not meant to develop future NBA players, it's to develop young people socially and emotionally.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't think it's a stretch to say football is the last true high school sport left.

8. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Ask any college baseball coach at any level where he looks for recruits. It's travel baseball, not high school.

I'd much prefer our daughter, who's a better-than-average goalkeeper, play club soccer than on the middle school team next spring. Her club coach has won varsity state H.S. championships at the highest level; the middle school school is a P.E. instructor who played football in college.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The people involved in soccer in this country.

10. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I want to say to all these parents who spend big bucks on travel and club teams that they're better off putting the money in a college fund, rather than spending an enormous amount of money and time on travel ball. The justification is always that it'll pay off in a scholarship, but given the small chance a kid will get one, and that even if he or she gets one it'll be a partial deal, the cost-benefit doesn't seem to add up. If you and your kid enjoy it, great, but otherwise, forget it.

Also, it seems to me that in many cases, starting travel at a young age leads only to physical and mental breakdown. I can see it in travel teammates of my 12-year-old softball-playing daughter, particularly the pitchers, who are pitching multiple games per week in house and travel. The top pitcher on my daughter's house team, in the league championship, complained after the first inning of arm pain, but she was sent back out there for three more innings. She gutted through, but I get the feeling she's going to be dead-armed by 15.

11. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

These academies serve the .001 percent of youth soccer players who grow up playing for the US National team. High school soccer serves the other 99.999 who will not play in college at any level and who generally benefit from the program, whether its coached by the school English teacher or not.

In my area, most of the high schol coaches are well-versed in their sport, especially the ones who are off-staff. Eliminating high school athletics that serve the masses with the rationale that "the best kids play in clubs anyways" would be a national tragedy.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, but it's happening. Nobody wants to pay more for schools, so extracurriculars get cut, or pay-for-play fees come in. And nobody is going broke underestimating how much some parents will spend to give their kid a leg up.

Draft saved Draft deleted