1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school tries shared leadership rather than captains

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

http://www.wickedlocal.com/sudbury/sports/x1794936950/L-S-teams-will-try-shared-leadership

Of course, the comments section has plenty of that knee-jerk "trophies for everyone" foolishness.
    I kind of have mixed feelings about this. If everyone is a leader, who is a follower and doesn't a team need followers as well as leaders?
    One coach brought up the point that sometimes the kids who are selected as captain are not necessarily the best leaders, but rather the most popular.
    I'm pretty sure like everyone else, I've seen teams with five, six, seven, even eight captains, which seems like a little much to me.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The story reads like the athletic director attended a seminar and probably needs to justify it to put it on her expense account.

I've played on teams with season long captains, rotating captains etc. I don't think it is a bad idea to use sports as an educational tool, but leadership tends to be organic. You can't just put a badge on someone and say "follow."

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My kid leads just as hard as everyone else.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Once, in high school, our co-captains were both injured, and as the sole surviving senior I was defensive captain for a game. I was a mediocre player, and then and now no leader. But there isn't that much to being a high school game day captain. All you have to do is accept or decline penalties, and the frantic sideline signals (Look at me or you won't live to see that letter on your sweater!) were a big help there. So if some school wants to shift it around, no biggie.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The school I cover has four captains -- offense, defense, special teams and scout team -- who rotate from week to week based on practice and game effort, leadership and all the other stuff about being a team player.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Which is why the rule was changed this year. Four captains per team only. No other players, coaches, support staff allowed on the field of play during the coin toss and the second-half option.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

"Trophies for everyone!"

8. DanOregon

On a semi-related front - I do think there is a need for players on teams (or their parents) to have a formal mechanism to contact administrators if something isn't right in a program. The "Coach is God" mentality is ripe for problems.
    I wonder how many schools (whether at high school or college) consult students when evaluating coaches at the end of the year or have a defined system for players to contact administrators during the season (and this goes well beyond the "playing time" thing).

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Since when have parents been shy about opining that there is something wrong with a coach?

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I guess this means the terrorists have won.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

A college professor of mine was fond of saying in regards to his old, old, old books which had seemingly every word highlighted: If you highlight everything, you highlight nothing.

12. DanOregon

Never - but if there was a formal process and structure you wouldn't see parents conspiring to oust a coach through backroom dealings. Hire a faculty advisor who is independent of the team, the coach, the administration. It's easy for a parent to bitch and moan in someone's ear - having them file an official report and sign their names? It's like requiring actual names and addresses on comment sections.

Draft saved Draft deleted