1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school sports reporter - Fayetteville, N.C.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Todd M. Adams, May 26, 2010.

1. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

This job probably won't be posted until tommorow, but I thought I'd throw it up here first.

The Fayetteville Observer, a 60,000 circulation paper in southeastern North Carolina, is looking for a sports reporter to complete its five-person staff. The reporter’s main responsibilities will be on the high school beat, including features, game-coverage and enterprise work. The person will also be responsible for managing our high school sports website, 910preps.com, and will serve as a backup writer for ACC football and basketball. The ideal candidate will have a history of writing compelling feature and enterprise stories, and a good feel for producing interesting website content, including blogs and video. If interested, please send a resume, cover letter and 3-5 writing clips to Todd M. Adams, sports editor, 458 Whitfield St., Fayetteville, N.C. 28305, or email them to adamst@fayobserver.com.

Just an FYI, the salary will depend on experience, topping out in the mid-30s. If you've got questions, feel free to shoot me an email or PM me here.

2. How's the quality of life in Fayetteville? I know there's an Army base there, but are there at least some nice bookstores and movie theaters that don't get too crowded?

This job sounds like a delicious opportunity.

3. BCox34

BCox34 New Member

I'm entry level and recently got a job at a small paper but I have to agree with the above poster.

That looks like a really great opportunity.

4. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Highest of recommendations from this guy.

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I'm a Fayetteville native ... most of my family still lives in the area ... and I've said this before ...

You'll want to live somewhere outside of Fayetteville, probably somewhere like Hope Mills. Like any bigger city, it has its problems and Pope AFB, I think, was a victim to BRAC. But you have Ft. Bragg, home of the Special Forces and the 82nd Airborne, so you know the economy there is a little better than normal, or at least, there will be money pumped in there by the government.

In addition, you'll be about 40 miles away from the greatest attraction on Earth (the billboards tell you so): South of the Border!

6. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Good place to work with a lot of good people. I'm not too fond of Fayetteville, but the newspaper is one of the best in the region.

7. alex.riley21

alex.riley21 Member

Used to go up there for Coastal Plain League games when I worked for a team. It didn't earn the nickgame Fayettenam for no reason.

8. nitrobreath

nitrobreath Member

RE: Fayettenam

Name me a city with a metro population of 300K+ that doesn't have areas you shouldn't frequent at night.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Can't speak on Fayetteville, but if you're looking for a SE who will keep you on your toes and make you better, Todd certainly fits the bill.
    The Sports Section has improved dramatically in the last few years; that speaks volumes about the guy running the section.

10. Hackwilson191

Hackwilson191 Member

Must admit, I Google mapped this one to see how far it is from where my wife would have to work. This is a fantastic section for its size, not just for the region, but for the entire country. If I did not buy a house a year ago ... damn that tax credit

11. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Having once toiled for his predecessor and having seen the section under Todd's stewardship on my travels, I can't echo these sentiments fast enough.

12. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The paper has always been pretty good. The same cannot be said of Fayetteville and Cumberland County. If you're serious, consider looking at housing in either South View or Spring Lake.

Draft saved Draft deleted