1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Sports Question--creatine and other supplements

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Aug 21, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Need some opinion/feedback here...over the weekend I was with some friends who had kids in high school football--big school in an affluent community--and they asked me something I couldn't answer. Maybe some of you can shine a light on this.

The head coach and trainer is addressing the players and parents, and gets to the subject of nutritional supplements. 'As for creatine and Ripped Fuel and that category of supplements, enough isn't known about their effects and benefits to growing bodies, so we suggest you only use these with your doctor's and parents' advice and consent.'

The message seemed to be: do what you want, we don't want to know.

Is it naive of me to think high schools should just be saying 'We don't approve, don't do this...'? Are there high school programs that ban this stuff? Should they be? Is it reasonable to think that kids who get results with something will just go the 'more is better' route?

Interested in what the norm is out there, I'll hang up and listen.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've written about supplements and kids. Most people with a brain would say kids shouldn't be touching the stuff. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) and American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) position statements on creatine advise against its use for children under 18.

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

a lot of coaches I know have changed their thinking on creatine -- going from advocating its use to telling their kids to stay away from them.
    I still think there are some out there who don't want to know, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted