1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Soccer Plagiarism?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WoodyWommack, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

And soccer isn't boring.

2. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

You know, writers at weeklies can make phone calls. Sometimes, we even do our own interviews.

And on some of those occasions, it's the daily doing the lifting, not the other way around.

Just sayin'.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

OOOOOOOHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHH

WOODY GOT FUCKIN' SERVED!

4. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

haha, I wasn't trying to rip weeklies. I just know the dude, he never shows up to games, and when he does, he's always late and asks to "borrow" my stats.

This is a guy that was a junior in college when I was a senior, and in a class we had together he got busted for quoting his girlfriend in a story.

5. WoodyWommack

WoodyWommack Member

The guy wasn't at the game, and the coach at this school doesn't keep track of which minute the goals are scored in.

6. dargan

dargan Active Member

I agree. This isn't plagiarism. I had a football day signing story from last Thursday plagiarized literally word-for-word by a Web site Saturday.

7. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

The very act of being present at the game doesn't give you a copyright on what happened there. One cannot copyright facts.

8. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Fair enough, if the dude in question has a track record. To give him the benefit of the doubt -- whether he deserves it or not -- he still could have possibly found another way to get a box score, though. And Squid's got it right; box scores don't exactly fit the guidelines of "intellectual property." From the AP Stylebook: ideas and facts are never protected by a copyright.

Not like, say, writing a 1000-word feature on someone from a one-on-one interview, running it on Page 1 of our paper, then seeing one of the local dailies copy it off my blog and print an edited version in their sports section four days later ... without attribution.
    Not that I'm bitter or anything, in case you were wondering why I snarled.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Or like writing a story on a local coach who started lacrosse in your area, calling him "the founding father of bumfuck lacrosse," then seeing most of your story in state's big paper sports section from their head prep writer.
    Fuckin daily guys.

10. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Did you go after them, Rhody? We are.

Like I told my friends -- shit, they could've used the quotes, but they were too lazy to write their own damn story around them? C'mon.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Nah ... his was a throwaway notebook item. The guy did like three grafs - and they read exactly like my story.

12. And reporters are a "who", not a "that"

Draft saved Draft deleted