1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Roundups

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RCC14, Mar 9, 2010.

1. RCC14

RCC14 Guest

I cover sports at a surburban high school. We put out a weekly newspaper, and I write a round-up based on all of the sports. Given a 600-word limit, how would you organize the round-up? Thanks for all and any help.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Most important things at the top.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

RCC,

I'd break it down by sport, obviously, and when writing it, try to find some nugget of information that makes the item better than just a golf match or a softball game or whatever.

If someone set a school record, extended a hitting streak, team won Xth game in a row, beat big rival, etc. Look for those things beyond just a dry recap of the scores.

And, yeah, put the most interesting stuff on top. Don't need to do it alphabetically or anything.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Use the first section to feature the most important news. Treat it like a 300-word story and try to get quotes.

5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Get as many names as possible in it.

6. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

This.

And as TwoGloves said, get as many names as possible in. Can't go wrong at all there.

A lot of names. Possibility of records. Perfect roundup.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And don't forget the JVs ... they try hard too.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We do separate roundups by sport and separate boys from girls sports, and keep them brief -- two or three grafs each. The key is to try and put in info that you don't find in a boxscore (game-winning scores, etc.). We also rank them in order of classification from top down.

Draft saved Draft deleted