1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Reporter -- Sun Sentinel

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by GLee, Sep 1, 2013.

1. GLee

GLee New Member

High School Sports Reporter
    Responsibilities:
    The Sun Sentinel seeks a reporter to cover high school and local participant sports in Broward and Palm Beach counties. This reporter will be based in South Florida. The successful candidate will cover games; write breaking news, features, and enterprise stories; shoot and edit video; contribute to blogs; create and manage content for the web; promote the Sun Sentinel's coverage through broadcast appearances, and use social media as a journalistic tool.

We're looking for a versatile, talented reporter who knows how to juggle multiple assignments and can conceive and execute good ideas on deadline. Strong digital skills are expected, including the ability to shoot, edit and appear on video and to assist in management of high school content on our website. This job will require strong reporting, writing and digital skills. Looking for minimum one to five years journalism experience.
    Qualifications:
    Send cover letter, resume, 5 clips and examples of your best digital work to:

Gregory Lee Jr.
    Executive Sports Editor
    Sun Sentinel
    glee@sunsentinel.com

https://sunsentinel-tribune.icims.com/jobs/26248/sports-reporter/job

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A preps job at a paper with huge turnover (I mean this as a positive.) and a history of promoting from within. If you're getting your start or are a few years into your journalism career, this is a dream job.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

You'll work under Greg Lee, a pretty good guy who can show a youngster a few tricks to make their job easier.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

It's a good gig with lots of opportunities.

Previous person in that job got to help out with the NBA Finals and recently was promoted to Miami Hurricanes beat.

5. MiddletownBSU

MiddletownBSU New Member

How soon is the Sun Sentinel looking to fill this position?

6. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

High school season started two weeks ago and Christy Chirinos started on the Miami beat yesterday so I would assume this is an immediate hire.

7. MiddletownBSU

MiddletownBSU New Member

Rats. I keep hoping that one of these is around December-January.

8. HappyCurmudgeon

HappyCurmudgeon Well-Known Member

No time is better than now. Although the weather is a little cooler and more comfortable in the "winter" months.

As far as prep beats go, this is a top notch position. There are a ton of schools in the county but someone's always competing for state titles. 50+ kids sign with FBS football programs and there is at least one former Broward product going in the NFL draft each year. Rich basketball history. Baseball, track, soccer, etc. High-level prep sports.

9. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it's bad news I have to ask this, but has anybody heard anything?

10. rdmurray

rdmurray New Member

I sent in my stuff a few weeks ago. Never heard anything, sent a follow up email again this past week and nothing...

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Doesn't seem like a beat you could do without, BUT . . .

$100 million in cuts coming to Tribune Company newspapers in the next 2 months. "Make do with what you have and be prepared to make do with substantially less soon" would seem to be the new reality.

12. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

I heard that someone went in for an interview late last week. All I heard though.

Draft saved Draft deleted