1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Milestones

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Walter_Sobchak, Jan 10, 2009.

1. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

If you covered this person extensively I wouldn't worry about it. As far as records go, you are usually at the mercy of the AD or coach. As long as you mentioned it, I don't see why there would be a problem.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

WTF?
    Where do you come from with this stuff? I didn't say ANYTHING regarding your coverage.

3. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There was a girls game in Buffalo, N.Y., over the weekend where a player from each team cracked 1,000.

The News led the roundup with it, about 150 words. That felt about right considering the market and how commonplace 1,000 has become.

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think that's a decent call.

I would have assigned it as a photo if there was a prep photo being shot that night.

Now, a smaller paper, I think you would go bigger, especially with two kids doing it in the same game.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

How big of a deal it is is entirely dependent on your paper's size and location.

In my area, it would be a fairly big deal for a paper the size of mine, but not a huge deal to the local metro. With an 18-game regular season and very few freshmen who see significant time, it's difficult to do.

As with many things in journalism, there are no set standards for if it's a big deal or not. Only the people at your shop know best how to treat a "milestone" such as this.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

I said the same thing four posts ago and had a guy accuse me of saying his paper wasn't doing a good job.
    WTF?

7. pseudo

pseudo Well-Known Member

Surprised they didn't mention that one of the players is the daughter of former Bills GM Tom Donahoe. That received prominent play (including footage of him in the stands) on the local newscasts.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

3k in high school, that is impressive.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I did that during my junior year. And I only played part-time.

10. RossLT

RossLT Guest

How many points do you suppose Zack scored before the knee injury? More or less than you?

11. micke77

micke77 Member

high school milestones are really a tough thing to verify and uncover in our area and it's a shame because of the vast number of outstanding athletes in football-basketball. there is just no one who makes any effort at keeping up with such stuff and the ones that did have moved on..that's one area i wish we could improve on...

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

In my experience schools are pretty good at those things, especially points in basketball, goals in soccer, etc.

Yardage in football can be tricky, but the papers up here in northeastern New York, keep individuals stats any way, so they have it.

Harder at a smaller place.

What I really like is when kids and teams start pushing national records.

That's always fun.

The year the National Federation first allowed a 91-pound weight class in wrestling (adding six points to the total possible), we had a team win 78 to (-1). Checked it. First 79-point margin ever.

Draft saved Draft deleted