1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school kids on MLB.com: WTF?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by TheHacker, May 28, 2012.

1. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Two high school kids from Connecticut are getting their own show/podcast on MLB.com.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120526&content_id=32264840&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

Possible explanations?

A. They come from well-connected families.
    B. It's really true that no place wants to pay people with experience, and all the 24-year olds have already been hired, so now we're down to giving jobs to high school kids.
    C. They're so talented they deserve to leapfrog over hundreds of other professionals and get a chance to be on a major website right now, without having done anything other than work for their high school radio station.
    D. It has to be A or B because it sure as hell can't be C.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

MLB.com is not a journalism outlet. It is a publicity outlet for MLB.

3. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

They already have a 14-year-old writing for them: http://mlb.mlb.com/personalities/?id=meggie_zahneis. (Unfortunately for Meggie, she has a disability called HASN II.)

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Smart move for MLB.com to try to get teenagers interested in an often-boring game that costs a lot to attend.

If MLB was smart they would encourage this in the minor leagues, too.

5. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

Still - just based on the way too many comics, comedy and film podcasts I listen to - there must be a million great sports podcasts already out there. Why these two guys?

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Good for them.

I don't see how this is a bad thing.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

A lot to attend? Depends where you go, I guess, but the local nine here today played a day-night doubleheader that I could have gotten in for $10 or less for each. Parked for free. And could have taken in drinks and peanuts for one-third the cost they charge inside. And sit on the outfield grass for fireworks.

8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Yes, a lot to attend a MLB game at a MLB park. Tickets, parking and food aren't cheap. I don't sit in the upper deck at a game because I don't go often. If we went frequently then I'd take the inexpensive upper deck or outfield grass route.

9. writingump

writingump Member

I could personally think of worse things for MLB.com to do than let high school kids do a podcast. It doesn't exactly market itself to the youngsters like it did when it WAS the national pastime, so why not think outside the box?

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Why do people think online sites need to hire good journalists for their site? It's not as if MLB.com is in need of more beat writers or columns.

11. geddymurphy

geddymurphy Member

It's both.

In this case, I agree with those who think it's just good marketing. It's like encouraging Alyssa Milano to write and talk about baseball whenever possible. "See, kids! Baseball isn't just some weird obsession of your parents' generation and stats geeks! Attractive women and high school kids also like it!"

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

The journalism function of MLB.com is there because the owners and Selig use it for publicity purposes. I can guarantee MLB.com won't be leaking anything regarding team finances or anything else that might piss off Selig or a significant portion of owners.

Draft saved Draft deleted