1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Hockey State Co-Champs?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spikechiquet, Mar 9, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I see. Are all your jokes this funny?

Because I don't know how much I can take.

2. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

The Freep's story:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080309/SPORTS09/803090714/1048/sports

The last few grafs:

3. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

MSHS Coach Joe Papin speaks during Northern Michigan Hockey game Sunday night. He sounds thrilled they tied.

Vid quality sucks...but the audio is what's important

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

That's when my mother would say: "That's so funny, I forgot to laugh."

Back on topic: If this were pro hockey (including the minors) or any pro sport or major college sport, there should be a winner. But in high school sports or any amateur sport, you don't need to risk further injury by forcing the kids to keep playing.

NCAA men's basketball final goes to eight OTs and still tied? Make it nine OTs. World Series Game 7 goes 30 innings and no winner? If you have to, come back tomorrow to play the 31st inning. But high school and lower? Too much of a liability issue IMO.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I agree with you, after eight overtimes, I think both teams have earned it. I'm just saying most people can't abide ties.

6. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Actually, after eight overtimes, neither team earned it. Michigan: A namby-pamby state.

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Eight overtime State Championship hockey game ends in 1-1 draw

A recent thread claims a great finish to a girls state championship high school basketball game.

This however, was an even better finish. I my opinion at least

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080310/SPORTS09/803100355/1048/sports

"After No. 6, the locker rooms were quiet. Dehydration became an issue. Some players weren't even sweating anymore. The St. Mary's players who didn't dress went upstairs to the concessions to buy Snickers bars for their teammates. Likewise, the Marquette coach's wife bought Nutter Butters for his players."

Nothing dispels dehydration like candy bars.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: Eight overtime State Championship hockey game ends in 1-1 draw

An 8-OT HS hockey game that ends in a tie. I think I finally found hell on Earth.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I don't know about you but if I lost a state title in five overtimes in football, and nine in hockey, I would be mighty pissed at the world.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

or you realize that you just aren't good enough to win. [/fuckabuncharecruitineaglets]

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Now, Slappy. You know that Catholic schools don't recruit athletes. JESUS does the recruiting. And guides the tuition breaks.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not at OLSM... GP is as crooked as they come

Draft saved Draft deleted