1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school grades

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Overrated, Apr 5, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

screw the calls. I'm more concerned with the kid who's honesty could make her a terrific source (and possible story) down the line.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Here's what I see missing in this issue:

If this team had been covered somewhat regularly over the past month . . . the pitcher's academic status (or that she was temporarily off the team) should have been reported before.

If this team has maybe a couple of games a month covered . . . then there was no "radar" for the pitcher to fall off of. No regular stories for people to follow, thus no reason for them to wonder about the whereabouts of the pitcher. In any event, a simple "said xxxxxx, who had missed xx games for academic reasons" somewhere in the middle of the story should suffice. You do not need to state in the story that the information came from her. The fact that it DID come from her is enough . . . in the unlikely event anyone complains.

3. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

excellent point BTE

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

It hadn't been reported before and it's one of the two main teams in our coverage area that gets every home game staffed. Like I said, I was filling in because my team had the night off. So, you're right, it should have been covered, but wasn't. I walked into that with no knowledge of the situation.

I didn't make a big deal of it...just said she was academically ineligible for the last month. I mean, I can't say it was her first game on the mound in a month and not explain why that's the case.

Also, the event someone calls is very likely. Parents here are worse than anywhere I've ever been.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

If you use it, use it only in the quote that she gave and then leave it at that.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

If she told you that she was academically ineligible, I would write she was academically ineligible.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

After the game, Player X explained why she had missed the last month.
    "I failed a class." Player X said.
    In the fourth inning ... On from there...

If the only reference of it comes from her quote, you should be good. If it comes from somewhere other than there, parents will come after you. I'm not saying they should, or that you would be doing anything wrong, but in a case like this, it's better to be too cautious.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

perennially overrated said he was filling in when the girl returned and then he asked a question of the board. you then followed with a bunch of no-shit statements.

but guess what? you should have read the original post a little better before preaching irrelevance.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

She hadn't pitched in a month and she was the winning pitcher in her first game back ... I don't care if she's the ace or the No. 6 pitcher, she IS the game story.

If she told a reporter she missed due to academic reasons, she obviously can't be too embarrassed by it.

We once had a prep track star get arrested and kicked out of school for statutory rape two days before the state championships. Now, THAT was embarrassing.

10. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Do we work together?

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I don't typically ask for the board's wisdom, so I just wanted to thank everyone for their input...both sides.

It ran after I convinced the higher-ups why it was pertinent. I can't wait for the calls Monday.

12. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

You can do it that way. No problem with that. But I also wouldn't have a problem tossing in there without the quote, if need be. I really don't care if parents call me on it.

Draft saved Draft deleted