1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football thread 10-27

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chi City 81, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Apparently, despite a complete absence of lightning, all but five of our 30 games were postponed tonight because of rain. Also, it hasn't rained here in more than two hours. Yeah, but football players are the best and toughest athletes in the school. Candy-asses. ::)

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

They do in Illinois as well. Not here, though. And I'm sure you're right in that it likely had nothing to do with the players. The fact that the gates would have been low because of the weather had a lot to do with it as well.

I just wanted to rant because this is gonna play hell with scheduling for tomorrow.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Lost two of our 28 ... PRIOR to the first drop of rain. Five others moved their game time up 1 or 2 hours. Pannnnn-sy.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Lost at least five in the state and one in the area because of rain. One school that postponed just happens to be pass happy. They want to postpone until Monday because ACT is Saturday morning and homecoming dance is Saturday night; school they play is none too happy and complained to the state about Monday.
    HOOVER however, is still playing.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

On the plus side, it's allowed me to work ahead a little for Sunday's 14-page section. Wheeeeee!

6. Garner

Garner Member

Weather's fine out here in California. Wish you were here!

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Fuck you all. [/BBAM]

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Two local teams combined for 19 (!) fumbles in the mud...good times. [/sarcasm font]

9. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

That happened here in South Carolina, too. It's all about the Benjamins. Something's gotta pay for the golf, tennis, swimming, softball, etc......

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Covered a game in a 50-degree driving rain. Not a very good game, but it was the only one involving one of my teams that didn't get moved to Thursday or back to Monday. I can certainly see why ADs don't like to play in bad weather; I think I counted about 150 people tops at a stadium that routinely gets at least 800 a game in good weather, and because they were playing a good team, would have probably been in the 1,500-2,000 on a normal night. Had they played on Monday, they'd have gotten more than 150, but I think they wanted the good team to play on a muddy field so they could slow them down. No dice.

11. sartrean

sartrean Member

Yeah, in my neck of the woods, one week of postponements or cancelations would fuck up like eight other events since football coaches and players all participate in volleyball, wrestling, cross country, basketball, soccer and championship farting.

Rain or shine, they play. Lightning, hold off until it stops and play the friggin game at midnight if they have to.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yeah, that is how it is here. The opening week I had a game that didn't start until nearly 10:30 p.m. because of lightning. Nothing like watching a low-scoring high school football game - with no crowd because they all left - at midnight.

Draft saved Draft deleted