1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football loses its virginity on Saturday (SF Chronicle)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Dec 15, 2006.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly Member

The 10 CIF commissioners picked the six teams. To be eligible, you had to win a section title so teams like Long Beach Poly, which lost to Orange Lutheran in the semis of the Southern Sections toughest division were out. The criteria they used were strength of schedule, record, head-to-head games, record against common opponents. The vote was done behind closed doors. However, two media people gave their opinions and arguments for/against certain teams beforehand. One was Mark Tennis, the editor of Cal-Hi Sports, who has been doing state rankings forever and does a great job.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

It's been so long that there hasn't been a state tournament that no one misses it. If it's not there, what's to miss? The section title, especially in the Southern Section, despite its mammoth size, is treated as a major success.

To totally revamp the football system and have a true state champion, they'd have to tack on probably another three or four weeks ... or keep out third-place teams from the playoffs, which wouldn't go over well.

Even if they broke it into five divisions, there are 13 section winners just from the Southern Section alone, so break that down, that's one more week. Throw in winners from the other nine sections and, well, by the time you dwindle it down, you'd be playing into January. Section title games were played last weekend, and that was a 14-week season (16-team fields for each section).

One way to cut it down would be to have a nine-week season then begin the playoffs with the 10th game. If you don't make the playoffs, then play another nonleague game.

As for other state playoffs in the state (I grew up there and lived there for 30 years), there is golf, volleyball, cross country, boys and girls basketball, wrestling and track. Track is the only "true" state championship in that it combines all section winners no matter the enrollment size for a champion. All other sports stop at section titles and like I said, people in the high school world treat those just fine. Yes, with championship rings and all.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

third-place teams in the playoffs?
    WTF?

sounds like the playoff system does need revamped.

4. LazyReporter

LazyReporter Member

Not that it matters, but golf and wrestling also have "true" state championships where there are no divisions.

What does matter (in this topic, anyway) is that the California Bowl/state championship system is in a two-year trial, so it's not a done deal that it will continue in its present form or any other after next year.

Whether or not it continues will depend on how much money it makes. Nothing more, nothing less. That's because the profits from the bowls are equally divided among the sections, no matter which schools participate. If the section commissioners don't make enough, they won't re-approve the bowls.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who in the CIF came up with the bright idea that the college bowl system was a good thing to emulate??

??? :eek: ???

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

SF_Express, In Texas, though, three or four playoff games only gets you to the regional round or the quarterfinals, depending on the classification. Texas 5A teams have to go through six rounds of the playoffs to win a state final.
    I understand your point, being that, despite not winning a "state title" California teams have been winning something, I just didn't enjoy this writer's condescending tone acting as though high school football was long gone because - holy shit California decided to add bowl games to the high school level, whatever will the rest of the nation do? - said writer acts like this is the end of high school sports, when most states around the nation have been doing the same thing for awhile.
    And I stand beside my original premise, especially after De La Salle was beaten, Southlake Carroll would fuck up a whole lot of high school teams around the nation.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Up until about 15 or 16 years ago, eastern Massachusetts used this ratings point system to determine which teams would get into alleged Super Bowls. It made the BCS look like clockwork. Undefeated teams regularly got stiffed.

8. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yes, finish in the top three in a six-team league and you get an automatic playoff berth. Finish in the top four in an eight-team league and you get an automatic berth.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

The way it is now in Eastern Mass., I wish the MIAA would go back to the points system and keep the semifinals/finals setup its has now, with the top four teams qualifying. The way it is now, you have schools jumping from league to league and leagues trying to get 12 schools so they can split into two tiers and get two playoff spots.
    Either bring back the points system or do away with the league structure, just go Division 1 North and South, 2 North and South, etc.

10. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I saw the title to this thread and thought it was another about hookers in a barn.

Damn.

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Having followed the recent league-jumping from afar, a lot of it seems bizarre. Rivalries are being tossed out the window. The Bay State Conference was the first to split to two divisions -- heck, they may always have had two divisions, but I don't think they split until they absorbed some of the old Suburban League schools.

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Ohio televises all six state championship games live. I use the term televise loosely.

Regular season, though, has become a TV free-for-all. Tape delayed games are available in just about every market and I believe Fox Sports Ohio did a series of live games.

Draft saved Draft deleted