1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football loses its virginity on Saturday (SF Chronicle)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by enigami, Dec 15, 2006.

1. enigami

enigami Member

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Ship sailed on this many, many moons ago. California is just catching up.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

This is one of those cases where I think the reporter would really be surprised that high school finals are televised statewide in Wisconsin. And Washington. And Iowa. And North Dakota.

Buh-rother.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Another Capt. Louis Renault column.

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

"California, which has 1,433 high schools, was the last holdout in the nation to stage a state high school football playoff."

Not true. Massachusetts has Eastern and Central/West championships, but no state titles.

6. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

and what about Pennsylvania?

7. Wisconsin? Iowa? North Dakota? Where's them?

8. KP

KP Active Member

Doesn't New York have two for each like Mass?
    NYC/Long Island and everybody else.

Have/has, what's the dif?

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I think the only bullet point it makes on the prep football historical timeline is it is about damn time California started having state championship games.
    How does having state championship games commercialize high school football? What is the point of sports if you don't have a final game to determine the championship?
    Also, it is funny how this writer acts like California high school football is the best in the nation. I think some teams from Texas might have something to say about that, not to threadjack.

10. Sly

Sly Active Member

My father and I love watching the high school championship games on television the day after Thanksgiving ... When it's being broadcast on public access and there's only one sponsor, it's far from being an overcommercialized thing ...

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Texas has more high schools than California and is a bigger state in area, but has still been able to hold state championships in every classification since (I believe) 1972. What took you so long, California?

I'm glad that De La Salle is being made to earn a state championship on the field, for a change. Do they win 150 in a row if they go six rounds deep every year?

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

californians concerned about overcommercialization is a very funny premise.

Draft saved Draft deleted