1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school football -- Friday night web sites

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by azom, Jul 22, 2006.

1. azom

azom Member

Hey, we're reworking how we cover Friday high school football nights; specifically, what we do on the web. I was just wondering if anyone out there knew of some newspapers that had creative web coverage of high school football on Friday nights.

From what I've seen, most newspaper prep sites are more or less the same -- team pages with schedules, game pages with box score/summary, league standings, stats leaders, etc., all linked together. Just wondering if anyone is going above and beyond that, or if anyone has it put together in some sort of appealing fashion (it's pretty AND user-friendly) on the web.

We cover 59 high schools with football, but we've pretty much stayed away from doing live Internet updates until now. Is there anyone who can shed some light on some problems we might encounter on Friday nights when we start to do this?

Thanks.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just focus on making it pretty. The rest of it will come together somehow.

3. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Do you have some program which is going to put this on the web for you, or are you guys just going to post stuff as it comes in?

The Kentucky Post had a cool website for high school sports a while back, but they tanked it. It was in flash and had a lot of multimedia. However, they had no ads and eventually it lost steam, I guess.

Other than that, I haven't seen too much in terms of different presentation.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Maybe something like SportsHuddle can help you.

The Detroit News uses that. It's got a list of standings, leading scorers, etc, etc. After the game, you'd enter the score, stats, scoring summary, etc, etc under each game. Then it compiles the reports.

The News uses mainly freelancers and coaches to update their stats, so some of those are a little incomplete. But the standings are correct.

If you were going to have staffers do this, I imagine it could go over pretty well.

Here's the News'/SportsHuddle basketball page:
    http://detnews.sportshuddle.com/Fan...2C5-4878-A04D-72411B418E11}&SetAffiliate=DetN

5. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

We used sportshuddle at a previous shop of mine.

the program was a good idea, but there were some problems with it. while you could preenter all the information for the teams in your coverage area, you would have problems when those teams played teams out of town. I guess you could preenter all the teams in the state, but that's a huge undertaking for somewhere like Georgia.

I thought the company tanked a while back, though.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I believe SportsHuddle was bought out or something ... the product still exists, but now they give it zero support.

Draft saved Draft deleted