1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football 10/13

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2006.

1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Busted. ;)

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

What a guy. What. A. Guy.

3. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

My guess is the, um, former home of Natalee Holloway.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Interesting one? Sure.

Good one? Uh, not exactly.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yeah, doesn't say a hell of a lot for Pennsylvania football this year. 26-0 Moeller.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Team I covered lost 45-6 to an out-of-area squad. Father of the quarterback corners me at halftime and tells me how to write the story to make his QB (six completions, the only two scoring ones to out-of-town cornerbacks) look like a hero let down by his line and receivers and the playcalling (also, I'm keeping Johnny Quarterback from a college scholarship because my stories at the weekly paper don't properly deify him. He was able to intimidate the last SE into acquiesence. The only thing he's getting from me is a mouthful of deez nuts if he tries that shit again. Because if he gets to influence my writing, then I have to let other parents have their influence -- and that includes those who thinks his kid is single-handedly leading the team to ruin.

Maybe I can get five parents to write five stories about their next game, all blaming the others' kids for the loss, and I'll go cover a team that'll do something after the last regular season game besides clean out their lockers.

7. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I knew someone who went to Griffin. The stories he told make South Park look like Romper Room.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yup. Aruba Tech again...

9. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

[/quote]
    Yup. Aruba Tech again...
    [/quote]

The Flying Satishes?

10. sartrean

sartrean Member

I actually covered a close game on Friday, my first day back from 4-day mini-vacation. And I've only got three weeks left of having a job. Ain't life great.

I was telling somebody on the sidelines this the other night. 90 percent of the prep games I've covered in my lifetime were blowouts. At over or close to 220 games, I've seen a lot of meaningless and ugly football games. I've also seen some meaningful contests come out very ugly.

Most of the close games I've seen came in one season. I remember one year, not too long ago, almost every game I covered had been close, at least up to the five minute mark of the fourth (and then some went lopsided from there).

I can only remember one major upset on the prep football level in my lifetime. Only one.

So what does that say about prep football?

I've seen way more major basketball and baseball upsets, but I guess that's expected given those sports.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

There are more upsets in soccer, too. Saw two this weekend. :)

The only thing I can say about Football Friday is it was clearly Friday the 13th. I'm normally not a superstitious kind of person, but that's the only thing that can explain the stuff that went on Friday.

12. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You know what a hatchet is, don't you Chef?

Sounds like the ol' Buffaloes played a damn good fourth quarter. It's hard to imagine that Garden has won the axe 12 years in a row and has to win something like 40 more in a row to tie the overall series.

Draft saved Draft deleted