1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Football 10/13

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

One of the biggest rivalries in the state of Kansas takes place tonight......

Garden City vs. Dodge City--The Hatchet Game.

2 schools located 50 miles apart........schools hate each other......towns hate each other.

I'll be doing an 8-man game on the radio tonight (www.wksradio.com if you want to listen)......both teams in the top 5 in the state and average almost 60 per game.........

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

HOOVER HOOVER HOOVER and Vestavia Hills here.. the have's against the have more's

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

After seeing Two-a-days on MTV........did NIKE give the school a bunch of money for the new stadium, or is that privately funded?

4. KP

KP Active Member

Looks like a minor league baseball stadium.

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I just want food in my press box for the sixth straight week -- and I think there will be!

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The first part of the season is played at the puny 8K seat stadium on campus. Once the Birmingham Barons end their season and the field is turned over, they play the rest of regular season and their playoff games at the Hoover Met, which is a Double-A ball park that seats like 15k-ish for football.
    Surprising really, because they dont draw much better at the Met -- however, like any good High School program, the Met does offer luxury boxes, seatbacks, larger concessions and toilets....and a bigger press box.

7. KP

KP Active Member

They should expand to 20k. They are America's Team.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Which is fine because most of Alabama wants nothing to do with them

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I've got two shitty teams, but at least one of them plays at a lcoal D-III school, so I will be in a heated press box.

Or one would think.

10. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I am going to my first six-man game tonight. I've covered eight-man, but never six-man. Should be interesting. Two 6-0 teams ranked in the top 15 in the state and averaging above 49 points a game. Only thing that sucks will be a tiny stadium more than an hour from the office.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Six man RULES! It's like arena league outdoors. Fun to watch, I'd imagine keeping up with yards, etc. could be a bitch at times, but it's my fav type of prep football to watch.

12. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I covered a six-man playoff game last November where one team had five different players throw passes and eight different players with receptions (everybody's an eligible receiver in six-man). Four players both threw and caught a pass. I'm pretty sure my stats were a little bit off.

Oh, by the way: Odessa Permian vs. Midland Lee at Midland's Grande Communications Stadium. Somebody should make a movie about that. [/crossthreadjack]

Draft saved Draft deleted