1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School fantasy football?!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

Ah, this is a D_B; it's on the Sports/News board

Apologies if this is a D_B (via Romanesko): http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/15607498.htm

We began our high school fantasy football feature this season as a fun way to get kids' names in the paper. This wasn't about gambling, because no money was involved. As with our weekly "playmakers" and statistical leaders, it was another opportunity to spotlight the top performers in the area.

However, some schools are objecting and are now refusing to provide statistics and other information to the Pioneer Press until we stop this feature. They say fantasy football is inappropriate on the high school level. They say it is too closely associated with gambling and/or it promotes individualism over team. As a result, our statistics package is smaller than normal this week.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

That's nothing. In my hometown, you CAN gamble on high school games. A few bookie joints had high school football lines. I remember checking out two lines once and they both pushed, which was weird.

3. SirTypeAlot

SirTypeAlot Member

The subject line nearly made me throw up.

4. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

I agree with Sir ... STOP THE INSANITY!

And I back the coaches on not providing you stats. Good for them.

5. This was something we briefly considered at my shop a while back. I said it then and I'll say it here, bad idea! We already spotlight the top performers each week and include stats leaders. If the idea is to get more kids' names in the paper, I don't see how creating fantasy teams is going to do that. You're just running the names of the same players who would already be in there. You really want to get names in the paper? Publish every team's roster. I'm sure that will boost sales.

6. ronalong

ronalong Guest

If you want to get kids names in the paper, start a section I have used for nine years at three different papers. It's called "Game balls." Let the coach of each team in your coverage area select the players who deserve game balls, which they used to give away in pro ball. We list each player's name and mothers come and get extra copies when their kid is in there. One coach once put his entire defense in the section and a teacher came in and bought 12 copies. One to post on the information board at school and the other 11 went to each of the players named.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

In this case I applaud the schools for refusing to allow their stats to be used this way.

Stop the insanity.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This seems more of a journalism topic, though, Perry. I don't think it's really a D_B.

9. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Lest anyone think the Pioneer Press is alone on this, The Washington Post has been doing the same thing this season. Doesn't seem to have been poorly received.

10. Mark

Mark Member

Here's the verdict......

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/high_school/15690211.htm

11. BH33

BH33 Member

Wow. Pulling the plug on the high school fantasy football was the right call - dumb idea in the first place - but not sure Mr. Bass needed to defend his idea by blasting the whiney parents. Sure, it's all stuff we want to say, but the whiney parents has nothing to do with this. Just say we made an error in judgement and move on.

I will say, however, that I'm jealous of Bass. I've always wanted to write a screw you column to the idiot parents that call and write.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

What's wrong with saying "We made a mistake?" and moving on.

And the expletive, hidden or not, embarrassing, just embarrassing.

I amd in Minneapolis, visiting, and I have to say, great local high school sections in both papers. Same goes for the Detroit Free Press. (I love 2+ hour layovers).

Draft saved Draft deleted