1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school dance

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by rpmmutant, Jan 20, 2010.

1. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

I've been asked to cover high school dance for a radio station. What kind of can of worms is this opening? First drill team, next battle of the bands. When does the madness end?

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Cover a high school dance?? What the fuck for??

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I think it's a high school dance team competition, not an actual high school prom or something.

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

C'mon, take a big chance . . .

5. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

You're covering it for a radio station? Really? Dance/cheer competitions are pretty much impossible to cover anyway, and without images, exactly how does that work?

This seems like the sort of thing that happens when some kid's mom is buddies with the people who run your station and call them up and trot out the, "they work just as hard as the football players" line.

Treat it like a feature, let them talk about how hard they work to prepare. If it's cheer, ask them about how dangerous the stunts are, because that's a real issue that's come up nationally with kids getting hurt because they're doing all this elaborate stuff. And say where they finished in the competition. End of report.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Whoops, sorry.

Given the choice, though, I think I'd rather cover the prom.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Is this radio station paying well?

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Just don't hit on the hot ones.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

when they play Mony, Mony and the DJ turns the vocals down you know what to yell, right?

10. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Dance team, drill team, same thing right? Luckily, it's just results, I am not actually covering the event. I do a morning sports report that includes high school and local college results.
    As for the pay, it's not horrible. In this economy, I feel fortunate to have a regular gig in sports journalism right now.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I actually had to cover a prom at my first small-town weekly. I understood why, since it was a big thing in the town.

What I didn't understand was why they had the juniors, instead of the seniors, be the king, queen and the court. I also thought it was nutty that halfway through the prom, to announce the court, all the parents came to the school and filed in the auditorium to watch the crowning.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

They do that at the start of prom in my city. I covered a prom in my first week at my first newspaper job and haven't covered one since.

Draft saved Draft deleted