1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school coaches ripping officials in interviews?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mannheimadler, Oct 12, 2006.

1. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I want to thank you for all your input. I really do appreciate and I agree with the general consenus. I am glad that it seems my original judgment seems like it was correct. Thanks a bunch.

2. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

In fact, I've never covered a game where either the coach or fans didn't think the officials cost their team the game. You have to decide for yourself.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for just being you man. your wit and insight mean so much to all of us.

"you've got to use good judgement," ranks right up there with "we're going to take it one game at a time," "it was a total team effort" and "we can't overlook podunk."

high school cover is not the same as college or pro coverage, wow, sage advice. keep it a comin'.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks for the contribution, Tom. Keep that sunshine coming.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

go the distance ace.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Why, thanks, Tommy! Thanks to you, I'll keep on posting!

7. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm not going to bait a coach into ripping officials, but if they say something about it it's fair game. They're the ones who know the rules about this and if they break those rules, they really should have known better.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

sp, that's making assumptions about what these coaches have been told/taught that may not be true. For all you know, they've received NO heads-up on how to handle such things (or how NOT to handle them).

High school coaches do NOT get into it for the thrill of dealing with the media. It's a byproduct of their job. They're in it for the sport, or they're in it for the kids, or they're in it for the ego boost. They're not in it for us.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

the coach's reaction sounds more like something I'd be inclined to use in a follow-up column or notebook rather than the game story.

if his quotes were particularly colorful (and still printable), it would be a good idea to call him back in a day or 2 and see if he still felt that way. then get the refs' side and you might have an interesting column.

Otherwise, I agree that just b/c a coach bitches, it's not necessarily newsworthy.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

It's not your job to protect the coach from himself.

If he goes into a real tirade about it, it usually makes him look like a whining bitch.

If he wants to do it, fine.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Take it one post at a time.

12. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

I just have to tip my cap to the other posters. Gotta give 'em credit.

Draft saved Draft deleted