1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school coaches ripping officials in interviews?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mannheimadler, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Isn't it past your bed time, old man? :D

Besides, spnited's right. The story serves no one but the losing coach. Also, if you had run them, you would have been deluged by calls and e-mails from refs. They band together like no other.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

You forget one ting, doc. The older you get, the less sleep you need.
    I'm down to about an hour and 20 minutes a night. ;D

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

More time to make with the love, eh? ;D

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

:-X :-X :-X

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm just hoping BYH happens upon this exchange and spontaneously vomits. ;D

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

In eight seconds or less?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

One can only hope.

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

No, you made the right call by not using them. Don't let the coach dictate how the story should be written. If you felt the calls were unjust, if he really did have a legitmate beef on a crucial play that determined the game, then by all means go with it. But don't run quotes about officials just because a coach wants to.

And if you do blast officials, it's not the worst idea to get their take for balance's sake.

9. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

If the officiating wasn't the story, then there's no reason to insert the quotes just for the sake of doing so. I have no problem with hanging a high school coach if he/she puts themselves out there. But if it's not the story, it's not the story.

10. Zeke The Plumber

Zeke The Plumber New Member

If the coach believes that the refs played a role in losing the game, then that seems pretty newsworthy to me. It certainly sounds like something that readers would want to know and since the coach feels it was an important contributor to the loss, I would say you should include it somewhere in the story.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Wrong. A coach might feel officials cost him every game during a single season or his coaching career, but I wouldn't make it a point to appease him by saying as such. Some coaches will always whine about officials regardless.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

In the past three seasons, I've used quotes about refs twice -- once game on a controversial was he in/wasnt he with the winning touchdown at the goal line as time expired and on a fourth and inches go for it on a drive late in the fourth for the go-ahead touchdown that came down to a spot that went against the offense.

Both times I didn't have a problem and the coach didn't either, at least not that he said anything the following week about the quotes -- and he lets me know when he's unhappy.

Draft saved Draft deleted