1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School class systems in your state

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Pops

Pops Member

Minnesota: All teams make the playoffs except football, and I'm not sure exactly how they break that down.

Wisconsin: Schools are divided by enrollment, but it changes drastically based on sport. All teams make the playoffs (leading to results like the 121-10 score in a girls regional basketball game this year) except in football, which has seven divisions and is goofy. The field is 224 teams. They must be above .500 IN CONFERENCE or win at least six games as an independent. Then they fill in the rest with teams that were exactly .500 in conference, leading to a bunch of teams getting blasted in Round 1 and finishing 4-6.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty sure some of the schools here do block scheduling, but most are still 7 classes per day. I think it works fine, and they don't need to change it.

3. Here's how it currently stands in Arkansas, where this fall there will be six football playing classifications:
    7A and 6A -- 16 teams each. Two conferences in each class, with top four going to playoffs.
    5A -- 32 teams, with four conferences. Top four in each conference goes to playoffs.
    4A and 3A -- 48 teams, where there are six conferences of eight teams. Top four in each conference goes to playoffs, where there will be first-round byes for all champions and two second-place finishes, which will rotate.
    2A -- 44 teams, where there are six conferences (four with six teams, two with seven). Top four go in each conference, again, where there will be first-round byes.
    In basketball, Classes 3A and 2A will have eight conferences with anywhere from six to nine teams, with top four out of conference tournaments going on to regionals and such. Class A will have 14 conferences with anywhere from four to seven teams and four actually going to regionals (crazy, I know). In regional play, two regions will have three teams advance to state on an alternating basis, while the other regions will have two qualify for state.
    Of course, this could be all for naught come July 31 and a lawsuit goes in the favor of a Little Rock attorney who is suing over the new multiplier concerning private schools.

4. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I know of a state (not mine) where every team makes it, and byes and sites are determined by a blind draw.

So you could have a 10-0 team playing on the road against an 0-10 team, with a 1-9 team getting a bye.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Didn't a newspaper do this as an interactive Web graphic a year or so back? I know that obviously some states are changing things, but it was discussed here. I don't want the info so I ain't looking up the old thread.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

My state has 5 for football

11AA
    11A
    11B
    9A
    9B

It will probably add another somewhere in the middle soon.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I've heard of that state, it rhymes with Sindiana.

And it's the stupidest system I've come across, especially for football.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Montana has four classes. Everybody makes the playoffs in every sports, IIRC. One class, the biggest, only has 12 schools in it.

Now I know I got my start in Indiana/Illinois, but four classes out here is just flat out ridiculous. It was stupid in Indiana, and it's stupider out here.

Semi-rant over.

9. Illinois wants to go to four classes next school year (2007-08). Big mistake.

10. DyePack

DyePack New Member

I'd be interested in seeing the breakdown for that. Are the small schools simply going to get screwed, or will there be an attempt to balance the field by enrollment?

Going from six classes to eight was flat-out dumb. I may not mind seeing a four-class system if it's done right.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Wyoming does power ratings. There have been some serious snafus with that, not the least of which was a Class 5A school going 2-6 in the regular season with one win against a shitty Montana team and the other win against a Class 4A school. Yes, this team went 0-6 against its own classification in Wyoming and enjoyed the privilege of being first-round fodder. Wyomoing also has been known to let travel distance dictate who plays whom in the first round of the playoffs.

I almost forgot to mention a state with 70-odd football-playing schools has five goddamned classes.

12. fully unemployed

fully unemployed New Member

I get your stance.... yet it seems to me the best team in each class tends to win, year afer year.

Draft saved Draft deleted