1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High school basketball referees don't want to monitor postgame handshake

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 14, 2008.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ding ding ding.

The refs -- and I was one for years, in basketball and baseball -- shouldn't be anywhere near the court when the teams are lining up for a handshake. They should already be in their cars. Any "monitoring" should be done by security, school administrators and nobody else.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Refs don't make enough to stand in for proper police protection.

3. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I've always seen the officials bolt after games, even fast when they suck, which in high school they typically do.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Indiana refs are off the floor as soon as the final buzzer sounds.

If it's a close game or they're in some hick town where every game is life and death and the fans think it's their birthright to officiate the game for the guys in the stripes (which covers about 75% of the state), they're off the floor in a dead sprint as soon as the buzzer starts sounding.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Exactly. Whoever thought this one up was stoopid.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

When I was umpiring high school baseball, we were strictly told to get the hell off the field the second the game was over. I was confronted a few times outside the gate, but there is certainly more of an escape route.
    And it's not like I ever did a whole lot of games with more than a couple hundred people at them. I can't imagine a basketball game (or whatever) with a couple thousand.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

At a game near us recently, a girl punched out another girl in the post game handshake. The police of the knocked out girl's town pulled over the other teams bus and gave the girl a ticket.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

they should have cuffed her and booked her ass. if it were a boy, i assure you they would have.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Not that I condone this type of behavior but.....

I've heard of people spitting (or worse) in their hands moments before the postgame shake and then going out to shake hands as a way of saying: "Hey, nice game, go f*** yourself". If someone did something like that and i was on the receiving end, you can bet your bottom dollar i'd be reluctant to contain myself.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Saw Ted just after Knight resigned and asked, "So whatcha gonna do now?"

TV Ted: "I just bought me a red Cadillac STV. Red, (Hwy). Red. Just for him."

11. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

That's the MIAA for you -- a virulent combination of stupidity and arrogance. So glad I don't have to deal with them anymore.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you and michael jackson are bad.

Draft saved Draft deleted