1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

High School Baseball SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKS

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CarlSpackler, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound like the winning team there was a juggernaut. They're a .500 team. Maybe the losing team is just that bad. At some point it really does come back on the shoulders of the losing team to make a damn play.

Weird thing about them changing the mercy rule in Texas, though. I thought that was already an NFHS rule. I know in my state it's 15 runs after three innings or 12 after four if the coaches agree to it ahead of time. The 10 after five rule is mandatory.

2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This.

This, this, this and this.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No passed balls or wild pitches either. Teams regularly steal 25 bases a game in small-school softball games that are halted by the mercy rule. Everyone knows that.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

I don't think mercy rules are mandatory in NFHS. Just suggested. They are up for state adoption, as they can have any game ending proceduresz they want

5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

AP moved a good story about the game and the aftermath on Thursday. Yes, it is up to the state associations and local regions to establish or not establish a mercy rule, yet there is a little-known rule in the NHSF rulebook that allows blowouts to be called by mutual agreement:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=13320319

6. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Yep, this. When runners are on first and third, and the runner on first runs down to second without a throw, it's defensive indifference, not a steal.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One of the greatest quips ever.

That traces back to a Texas SID, right?

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yes, Jones Ramsey. Also worked at A&M in the 1950s.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

Covered one HS softball game in the last 20 years or so. Opponent's bus was late, so the pitcher (65-70 mph) was warming up away from the backstop. One got away (I like to believe) and crushed me right in the shin. As I don't wear a cup to games, it could've been worse.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I remember covering a high school baseball game years ago where the pitcher threw seven innings, fanned 12, walked about eight and gave up 10 or so hits.

So...

The average walk is about six pitches.
    The average strikeout is about five pitches.
    The average at bat (non K or walk) is about three pitches.

The walks cost the kid 48 pitches.
    The Ks another 60.
    The hits another 30.
    The outs another 63.

So I have this kid at 201 pitches.

Insane.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Supposedly, Kerry Wood threw 175 pitches in a doubleheader two days after the Cubs drafted him. The Cubs' management was incensed, but Wood's high school coach replied that they needed to win both games to get into the playoffs.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The Cubs' management was incensed, but Don Baylor apparently not impressed.

Draft saved Draft deleted